If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that.
Would like to see more of that kind of loyalty displayed more often.

You want to see it? FYI it's been going on for years. I got a nice package when I declined Baker Hughes' relocation offer (which was also quite generous) and terminated my employment with them. Had they not moved to Houston, I'd still be there, I loved that job.

Also Chesapeake just a few years ago REQUIRED a number of hours in community service per month and guess what? They still paid the full salary to their employees! :faint:

It's out there if you want to find it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want to see it? FYI it's been going on for years. I got a nice package when I declined Baker Hughes' relocation offer (which was also quite generous) and terminated my employment with them. Had they not moved to Houston, I'd still be there, I loved that job.

Also Chesapeake just a few years ago REQUIRED a number of hours in community service per month and guess what? They still paid the full salary to their employees! :faint:

It's out there if you want to find it.

There's also a lot of stories out there of the executives funding huge scholarship and academic programs in small communities all over Oklahoma. Not as a company donation, but as a private individual contribution.

But you don't hear about that. It's always about how evil "big oil" is. Which is a whole 'nother topic. Honestly, you cannot consider most if not all of the E&P companies in Oklahoma "Big Oil". Most are relative small to the likes of BP, Shell, Saudi Aramco, etc.

Again, fascinating industry. Combines some of the things I really enjoy; Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Geology, Physics... Damnit... I should have been a petrophysicist. I'd take the cyclical woes just to solve those types of problems.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's also a lot of stories out there of the executives funding huge scholarship and academic programs in small communities all over Oklahoma. Not as a company donation, but as a private individual contribution.

But you don't hear about that. It's always about how evil "big oil" is. Which is a whole 'nother topic. Honestly, you cannot consider most if not all of the E&P companies in Oklahoma "Big Oil". Most are relative small to the likes of BP, Shell, Saudi Aramco, etc.

Again, fascinating industry. Combines some of the things I really enjoy; Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Geology, Physics... Damnit... I should have been a petrophysicist. I'd take the cyclical woes just to solve those types of problems.

I hear ya on all counts.

When I worked for Baker Hughes we made some killer stuff. A directional driller came in once and gave us a presentation on just exactly how our tools were used and it was fascinating. They had to be able to hit a 100' dia (50' radius) target at 35,000' and they had to be able to do it with a HP48G calculator if their computer went down. This was in the late '90s. At the end I was working with exotic materials that had all kinds of sensors in it including gamma ray transducers.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey kettle, this is pot... you too are black. ;)

No different than saying people who work in the patch made bad decisions.

Everybody makes bad decisions. It'd just be nice if the oil patch guys weren't being such pu$$ies about it. I'd suggest not taking up farming if one bad year after 15 good ones sends them down the rat hole.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody plans for the future properly. Younguns in the field spent their money and old folks didn't plan far enough ahead. Where are te old folks going anyway? They're not driving much and probably shouldn't be anyway. Those youngsters dumped more into the local economy than the elderly but screw them for spending money. Big bad oil raised prices because they could, not because demand was high and processing costs money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom