I'm turning into a horrible shot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours at the range yesterday and just can't figure out what is wrong with my shooting. We set up on the 50 yard range and just threw some human targets up and went at it. Well, first mag i'm not even hitting paper. You can see my splashes In front of the target about 10 yards. Started aiming over the targets themselves and still hitting very low. Chalked it up to the 50 yard line being too far for me and went on.

Got to the 25 yard range, walked out and shot from about 10 yards. All over the place in the chest but hitting mostly left. Then it was just random hits on paper all day, no particular pattern to them. Buddy tricked me and gave me an empty gun and when it dry fired I about fell over. Not surprised that happened, I've always anticipated the shot some. It just seems like the last few times I shot, I've gone way down hill.

So I need some drills and tips to help me get through this funk. I was a decent shot in the Corps but just can't shoot nearly as often and as much now.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why"always anticipate the shot"? No need. Hold the gun firmly but not squeezing it. Just focus on sight alignment and pull the trigger to the rear slowly...pull, pull, pull, BANG! It should almost surprise you.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours at the range yesterday and just can't figure out what is wrong with my shooting. We set up on the 50 yard range and just threw some human targets up and went at it. Well, first mag i'm not even hitting paper. You can see my splashes In front of the target about 10 yards. Started aiming over the targets themselves and still hitting very low. Chalked it up to the 50 yard line being too far for me and went on.

Got to the 25 yard range, walked out and shot from about 10 yards. All over the place in the chest but hitting mostly left. Then it was just random hits on paper all day, no particular pattern to them. Buddy tricked me and gave me an empty gun and when it dry fired I about fell over. Not surprised that happened, I've always anticipated the shot some. It just seems like the last few times I shot, I've gone way down hill.

So I need some drills and tips to help me get through this funk. I was a decent shot in the Corps but just can't shoot nearly as often and as much now.

I did this when I first started shooting again after taking some time off from my neck injury. (Truth is I've always had a touch of this problem, but it was HORRID when I'd had some time off.) Like HiredHand said, dry firing can help A BUNCH. Get intimately familar with your trigger and how your hand works when you are squeezing that trigger off. Focus on only moving/squeezing the finger on the trigger -- not the other fingers wrapped around the grip. They should remain motionless.

I know I'm telling you stuff you already know -- you just need a little reminder. 10 times a session, three times a day for a week. Then go back to the range and do the same exercise with a loaded gun. Don't worry about getting shots off fast or anything like that. It took me about a month of dry firing every day (don't tell GC but I skipped a few days -- HEY! I was busy!! :D ) and once a week at the range.

Oh ... and I'm guessing this gun is sighted but you are still hitting way low you say?? You are looking down the slide at the sight. Get that gun UP and get the slide LEVEL before you try to pick up the sight.

Do you have a neck or shoulder or upper back injury by chance? If so, THAT is what's causing your new problem. Hope this helps! (You don't gotta do 60 -- that'll just make your upper body tired and you'll just get worse ... :D)

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a m&p pistol with viking tactics sights and was able to start shooting with both eyes open and that helped my shooting. Is that with all your pistols or just one in specific? I had a S&W bodyguard in 38 special with laser that shot horrible I had to send it back to S&W to get it fixed. It was printing left about 5-6 inches with all types of ammo. I ended up selling at gun show cause it still wasn't correct. Also had a 1911 that the grips were very small and the trigger was short and I could hit anything with it until we put fatter grips and longer trigger in it and it was a huge improvement

Latest posts

Top Bottom