Interesting modernized older guns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread annoys me.
Someone will use a sxs for defense, and thats ok; but because it has a light, which is unquestionablly useful; theyre idiots??
If you are a mere collector or guns, its fine to say, "ick" or "blastphemy!", but if a modification, or a look enhances the function of a gun ESPECIALLY when its used for gunfighting, its all fair game. A armed thug will not care if you are true to the memory of John Wayne when you ventilate him with a 30-30 or buck from a 12ga.

I agree with the principle of what you are saying but why not then just switch to a pump shotgun or an auto, or anything with more than two shots? I don't see the practicality of putting a light/laser on a gun that you are going to have to reload every two shots.

The SxS is good for home defense if it is all you have, but if you have the money for a $200 red dot and a $300 light on top of your SxS why not just get a cheap $200 Maverick 12 instead and have the option of 8 shots without having to worry about reloading. It just doesn't seem that practical for home defense.
On the bright side, maybe the owner of the tactical S&W revolver just found his new favorite shotgun.
ai929.photobucket.com_albums_ad136_Nevadafun_Tacticool6shot.jpg

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, the old K98 Mausers are cool, but if I was going to use one for hunting or range, I'd want to put a new stock on it, free float the barrel, or completely rebarrel it, and mount a scope on it. And for a long time now, I've thought "why the heck not?" when it comes to refinishing guns. .

You know what a R.C. K98 is worth: average 250-$350.

You also know that a "sporterized" K98 is worth the same amount as the plastic stock that it wears.

Just funnin with ya. I like the Marlin above not too tacticool for me. The sxs is not a collector piece and the mods are useful, even if they are ugly.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The irony of the "modernized" Garand is that they have been for sale for years.

They are called Springfield M1a's.

The Garand "modernized" into the M14, which "modernized" into the Springfield M1a

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the SxS looks ridiculous because its probably right next to a single-shot in terms of poor choices for a home-defense gun. Sure it can be used and has been to defend stuff throughout history, but it is hardly the best choice when thinking of taking it up against a semi-auto with even marginal capacity or a threat that just happen to be made up of more than one person.

The lever gun bugs me because I don't consider Lever guns something I would use for a gun-fight, but that one actually makes some sense since its been used in plenty of gun-fights throughout history and is conceivably a decent gun to use to defend one's self with capacity, speed, and weight considered. I suppose a single-action cowboy revolver could be used in a gunfight too, but again, it wouldn't be my first choice.

I would say that aside from bird-hunting or skeet-shooting, the SxS should be on someone's wall or in a safe and ideally not the first thing to grab in a self-defense situation.

If its all you got, then cool, but it doesn't make sense (to me) to buy $300-400 worth of stuff for it when that money can get you a shotgun more suited to home-defense.

Now I will say this - for all guns there is some degree of collector value and if you're taking a gun that is essentially a piece of history and modifying it beyond the ability to put it back to historically correct form - that's kind of sad in my opinion because that gun does sort of fall into the "collector" more so than it does the "tool" category since we're experiencing fewer and fewer classic historic firearms that are surviving now days.

I'm not saying any of the guns in this thread fit into that category.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The irony of the "modernized" Garand is that they have been for sale for years.

They are called Springfield M1a's.

The Garand "modernized" into the M14, which "modernized" into the Springfield M1a

M14s and M1As have indeed been around awhile, and you can just as easily 'modernize' them with all kinds of horrendous crap too. That's not to say that everything that gets an update is bad looking though... the DMR variants of the M14 are great looking rifles.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who ended up with that sporterized Mosin that was in the classifieds?

Had a synthetic stock and I think it was nickel-plated. Anyways...it belongs in this thread. Even though it's not my style, I thought it looked cool (or at least interesting).

ETA: Here it is.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y177_diggintaz_DSC05458mod.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom