Intruders 0 - Homeowner's Son 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Death is not a reasonable punishment for someone stealing or vandalizing property.

I disagree! A home burglar steals more than property, it takes away a sense (maybe a false sense) of security in your own home.

A few years ago I came home to find the front door kicked in and lots of property missing. That was bad enough, but the deputies that investigated the burglary warned us that, having seen what they did not have time or tools to steal, there was a pretty good chance the thieves would return.

I am generally home and have a completely unpredictable schedule, when I leave, I may be gone 10 minutes or all day. Our vehicles are garaged behind a door with no windows and I often don't answer the door if I don't recognize the person knocking. The thieves may have watched me leave but there is no way they could know how long I would be gone. It was their lucky day (and mine as well) because I have absolutely no doubt that I would have killed them if they had kicked that door in an hour before they did.

I have no compassion for a smoker who dies of cancer, for a drunk driver that dies in a crash, for a drug user who overdoses or for a thief who is killed while stealing from someone. If you choose to engage in that type of behavior, you deserve what you get.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Death is not a reasonable punishment for someone stealing or vandalizing property.

And society agrees, in general, so death is not the punishment for stealing or vandalizing in our legal code. But your comment and point are not relevant to this case, because here the perpetrators' deaths were a predictable and defensible outcome of invading a person's residence (prima facie evidence of ill intent) while armed (presumably to cause great bodily harm), wearing clothes to hide one's identity (another clear sign of ill intent). The young man who defended himself did not administer a legal punishment - he defended himself against aggressive invaders clearly intent on doing ill and prepared to do great harm. He did nothing wrong in defending himself.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel horrible for the son. Yes he's still alive and did the right thing, but the emotional, physiological and spiritual toll of taking three lives will be devastating. He will never be able to live a normal life and that will follow him for the rest of his life. Right or wrong any future employers will google his name and this will come up. He'll have his name dragged through the mud by the victims families. He probably won't be able to get a good nights sleep for many many years. I can't imagine what it'll be like for him. I hope he has a good support group around him.

Also, stories like this really destroy the double barrel shotgun argument for home defense. Really any small capacity firearm for home defense. Would this have turned out the same had he only had a 5 shot revolver? Who knows.

I pray this kid makes it through it okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And society agrees, in general, so death is not the punishment for stealing or vandalizing in our legal code. But your comment and point are not relevant to this case, because here the perpetrators' deaths were a predictable and defensible outcome of invading a person's residence (prima facie evidence of ill intent) while armed (presumably to cause great bodily harm), wearing clothes to hide one's identity (another clear sign of ill intent). The young man who defended himself did not administer a legal punishment - he defended himself against aggressive invaders clearly intent on doing ill and prepared to do great harm. He did nothing wrong in defending himself.

I didn't say the homeowner's son did anything wrong. I was replying to jakeman's post.

In which he said, "In fact, most folks will celebrate the early demise of a criminal. People are pretty sick of having their stuff stolen and their **** tore up by bad actors."

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Agreed. Death is a potential and justifiable consequence of aggravated burglary on an occupied dwelling. In the past few years, there have been a lot of cases where aggravated burglary escalated into home invasion. For that reason alone and the fact that they were concealing their identity and carrying weapons, I think it's perfectly understandable to go weapons free and neutralize the threats. No one owes a home invader an opportunity to prevail, as some who hesitate have been killed by invaders. I owe more to my family and myself than any invader, regardless of how benign they may turn out to be. :(

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: The anti-gun ABC bobbleheads are weighing in. :rolleyes2

https://gma.yahoo.com/killing-3-tee...oklahoma-010103618--abc-news-topstories.html#

Three teen burglary suspects were shot and killed Monday by a homeowner's son armed with an assault rifle in Oklahoma -- which has a "stand your ground" law -- and the alleged getaway driver in the case was arrested on felony murder and other charges, authorities said.

Authorities said they had not determined if the shooter, who was armed with an AR-15, would face charges. Oklahoma law presumes homeowners have a fear that justifies use of defensive force just by virtue of someone breaking into a home.

A decision on charges for the shooter as well as formal charges for the alleged getaway driver, would be determined in the coming days, prosecutors said.

“And at that time, there’ll be a final decision -- I know there’s questions that have been posed regarding Stand Your Ground law as well as the application of the felony murder rule," said first assistant district attorney Jack Thorp. "We hope to be able to answer those questions with our formal filing decision when we reach that decision.”

According to Deputy Nick Mahoney of the Wagoner County Sheriff's Office, deputies got a call around 12:30 p.m. Monday about a possible home invasion with shots fired.

Today, Chief Deputy Les Young identified the 911 caller as Zach Peters, the son of the homeowner. They said he told the dispatcher that people had entered his home and that he'd discharged his weapon.

Mahoney said that when police arrived, they found three deceased male teenagers, ranging in age from 16-18.

Two were in the kitchen area of the house, Mahoney said; one appeared to have run from the home after being shot but had died in the driveway.

"These three individuals came to this residence, which we believe, with the intent to break in, to burglarize the home," he said.

Mahoney said the males were dressed in black, wearing masks and gloves, when they allegedly forced their way through a glass backdoor. He said, there, the three allegedly encountered Peters, who was armed with a rifle. Police said today that multiple shots were fired.

Mahoney said Peters and his father, the homeowner, were in the home at the time but were not hurt. Police said Peters went to the Sheriff's Office and was interviewed by investigators.

Mahoney said two of the deceased were considered armed. One had brass knuckles, he said. Another had a knife. Mahoney said the third suspect had not yet been searched by police.

Police with the Wagoner County Sheriff's Office said today they'd arrested an alleged getaway driver who they identified as Elizabeth Marie Rodriguez.

Mahoney said that Rodriguez, 21, had turned herself in to authorities after the shooting, allegedly saying that she had information about the incident. He said she was interviewed and taken into custody. Police said today that Rodriguez had identified the three dead males in the house.

Rodriguez was arrested on three counts of felony first degree murder (for deaths that occur during the commission of a felony), one count of first degree burglary and one count of second degree burglary. Police said the last count was because the four had allegedly gone to the same home earlier in the day and then returned. She has yet to be formally charged.

Mahoney said he did not know whether Rodriguez had dropped the suspects off at the home or had planned to pick them up. Police said that the investigation was ongoing and that they did not know whether the burglary was random. They would not release the names of the three killed until they contacted relatives.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure where they get the "test" part. The only thing the first assistant district attorney said was that it was "questions that have been posed regarding Stand Your Ground law." Also, questions about charging the get away driver with murder.
I'm pretty sure if the guy locked himself in the bedroom, he was scared for his life. And, if he wanted them dead he would not of asked for the EMS to hurry, to help them.
You read the headline, and you assume the guy did something wrong, by shooting them. Then people wonder why the term "Fake News" is being used.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom