Is a body cam my best legal protection as a CCW Person?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the points made above. A civilian wearing a body cam day-to-day to document their use of a firearm in self-defense is silly imo. The odds of it happening are crazy low, thankfully. Second, as @cowzrul said, the fact you are wearing a body cam will definitely make DAs, as well as laymen (jurors) wonder if you were actually hoping or planning to use your weapon. And that would be a legitimate question in my mind.

Next, LEOs wearing one is different. Their odds of being accused of something falsely seems to be pretty high, and they have multiple interactions daily that could go that way. Much different than the regular guy.

Lastly, any video would be dissected second by second with benefit of hindsight. I can pretty much guarantee there would be plenty you could have done better looking back at the video.

Bad far outweighs any possible good, imo. But you do you.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's apparently a trend for the prosecution to use weapon training against an accused. So I would think wearing a body cam would be used against you too. Also, I remember Jerome Ersland got a life sentence from the video he had while defending his pharmacy.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I Think (but cannot prove) that Body cam footage will exonerate Lawful use of a firearm.
Instead of a He says - He says, it becomes “The video shows”.

have purchased an inexpensive Body cam for @ $40.00. I have not received it yet, but it advertises to Loop 8 hours.

I have many other questions and points for discussion, but I will limit This post to the primary question asked in the title.

Biting your own ass. Silly.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I've been carrying a gun for a long time...since the 80s. It never occurred to me that I should wear a body camera. It has occurred to me to avoid stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places. That's a rule I follow religiously.

Try as I might I can't see where wearing a body camera is a necessary, or even a good, idea for me. You should do what you feel is appropriate.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know nothing about nothing, but in my opinion, a body cam is a horrible idea. If I was a prosecutor, I believe I could make the case that the incident was premeditated because of a person wearing a body cam.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You should get some concealed carry insurance that will provide legal representation if you’re arrested after a shooting. Go to keepersconcealment.com and get a discount code for the company Spencer recommends. One arrest for a serious alleged crime can bankrupt you easily even if you are found not guilty.

Know the law, get training, and never let a moment of anger cause you to do something stupid. Most people would look at someone wearing a body cam as a wannabe cop. The last thing you want is to draw attention to yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom