Is a tractor worth it???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One last thing to consider most aftermarket loaders put the bucket quite a ways in front of tractor. The reason is they are built basically for a range of tractors of a certain range of hp. Say a 30-50 hp tractor. You simply buy the loader then adaptors for your particular tractor. They are not bad loaders and some are quite good but folks fail to take into account a simple engineering fact that for every ft you cantilever a load the force required to lift goes up by factor of 10. In other words that 100 lb weight you lift straight up takes 10 times the force a ft further out. Thats why a skid loader can actually lift and move more than most tractors. They keep loading close. All farm tractors with a loader is a sort of compromise. A loader made for a certain tractor will keep load very close to front and the strongest ones barely clear the front of hood. Look for a rig with loader built for that tractor if possible if not look for one that lifts load as close as you can to front end.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of stuck tractors. :blush:
D725288F-2E4F-41C5-A4A0-3F8CEA7030A3.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One last thing to consider most aftermarket loaders put the bucket quite a ways in front of tractor.
In this same vein, one thing to look for is how far to the rear the loader mounts. Some will mount ahead of the transmission, while some have extensions that go back under the rear axle. If the tractor isn’t designed for the ones that mount ahead of the transmission, you’re putting unexpected loads on the interface between the engine and transmission, and it’s possible to break the tractor, which is no bueno. (Fortunately, I’ve only seen pictures of this, not experienced it directly.)

I’m pretty sure all of the loaders I’ve seen for Ford tractors have the extensions that go under the rear axle to distribute the load, but when I was looking for a loader for a JD 2640, I ran into them having two different loaders, with one having the extensions and one not. That was the first time I heard about a loader breaking a tractor…

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best thing I've ever done for my back (after buying a tractor and loader to start with) was adding on extra hydraulics and a small thumb grapple to pick up logs/poles/big rocks, piles of cut brush etc. Greens Machine has a dandy one but don't forget to big time reinforce your bucket before installing it. My little 3032E can pick up and carry 25' telephone poles with that little grapple. Huge backsaver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom