Is it time? AR-15 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zactly........it was on tv........looked wild ...and...they got their deer.... ;)
Poured chicken grease all over the rifle....preservative free...LOL

But was it free-range, antibiotic-free chikkin????

I wouldn't use anything else on my rifle, if my life is going to depend on it, I gotta be sure, ya know????

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Motor oil is all I ever run in all of my guns. I don't operate in any theaters, so I clean my guns more than I "need" to.

The M4 carbine by design is actually over gassed, so in adverse conditions it should be more reliable than a rifle or mid length gas system.

Over gassed carbine length systems cause their own issues with reliability and parts longevity. That is why the switch to a heavier buffer was introduced to mitigate the effects of that particular good idea fairy.

Again, the need to "tune" them...quality piston rifles have an adjustment on them for the gas...problem solved in the bush with no new buffers :)

Ziggy Sour

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of passion on this thread. I like it. Can't wait to get into some political discussions.

Well I don't know your situation, but my advice before spending $1000 is make sure you have a handgun, a shotgun, and some kind of hunting rifle to reach out with.

Assuming you have that, and you're ready for one of the "scary" guns this is my opinion.

First, before any gas argument, how does it feel? How's the front weigh, and does that bother you? Anything that could burn your hand or fingers? How's it feel against the shoulder and looking down the sight? Feel's good don't it.

ARs - Accurate, you're going to have plenty of interchangeable parts to find if SHTF. The jamming is a problem, or at least for me. Not sure why. Some don't seem to have this problem and they're lucky. Just not sure what it is. Depends on how anal you are about cleaning, etc. I could be off on the prices since I haven't checked in awhile since the market finally stabilized to some degree, but a Wyndham for at one time around $900. I really like the S&W style for a little cheaper, like the cops, but I don't own one.

By my name, you can tell I'm sort of biased. But if you're at $1000, if you can go a little higher, I strongly suggest a Sig 556. The style would depend on how much forward weight you want to deal with. Like someone sort of said, it's like an AR and an AK fornicated and the love-child was a Sig 556. This is my go-to weapon for just going out and shooting targets. If SHTF and I have time to only grab one rifle, this would be it. It was accurate out of the box, shoots like a dream. A pure pleasure to dispense lead from. From a steady kneeling position, a one-eyed man with cataracts would have a hard time missing the bullseye. As for parts, that is some concern if SHTF. But based on how long it took me to find another style during the last shortage, someone's buying these up so there will be parts.

That's my 2 cents. My opinions are mine and not meant to disparage anyone.

Good luck in your search. But definitely buy, it won't get any better on prices.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, the need to "tune" them...quality piston rifles have an adjustment on them for the gas...problem solved in the bush with no new buffers :)
My point was, you dont need to "tune" a properly built gas AR, and they dont need an adjustment between suppressed and non suppressed. This is where doing the research on what defines the spec is important. Case in point is the previously mentioned Mk18. Daniel Defense purposely sold that upper with an oversized gas port for the reason Nikat mentioned. In my case it cost them a brand new upper under their lifetime warranty. I promptly sold it when it got to me, having decided to go another direction. They do offer it in the correct port size now.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The jamming is a problem, or at least for me. Not sure why. Some don't seem to have this problem and they're lucky. Just not sure what it is. Depends on how anal you are about cleaning, etc."

"Jamming" is not an AR problem. Its not even a cleaning problem. Its not a DI problem. Its not luck either. It's a poorly built gun problem.

If your AR malfunctions, clean or dirty, it's not a good gun. Period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom