Is the .22 Rimfire a viable self defense round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes. Yes it is a viable defense round. We have gotten ERs with headshot wounds from .22s. It is hard to keep their blood pressures up and we run NS wide open as well as use drips. Maintaining their vital signs takes the full staff until the chopper arrives. Even a poorly placed center mass hit from a .22 is a true medical emergency. I'm not endorsing the .22 as a primary carry, but it is truly dangerous.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two major drawbacks:
1. Rimfire ammunition is not as reliable as centerfire. Rimfire is more prone to misfires.
2. 22 LR is deadly with proper shot placement but takes longer to incapacitate the assailant. 9mm and up is best.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It would depend on how "juiced up" the intended target was. Someone with a system loaded up on meth or OxyContin would probably continue coming at you without a well placed head shot.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading a Time magazine article years ago where a guy in NYC got mugged in an alley. He woke up covered in blood and went home. After about 3 or 4 days he went to a doctor because he was tired of a headache. There was a picture in the magazine of the guy's xray showing 6 .22 slugs in his brain. A .22 is a last choice but,I carry one some. Other people in Ponca City have had good results using a .22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom