Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They did, I think it was called a P 85. I'm pretty sure the Coast Guard issued them along with a cheap Spanish sword and a floor buffer.
The P series are fine pistols, but just that like the S&W 5900 series they cane out at the same time as the plastic wonder 9s did for all the girlie men.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta love a pistol that would break its firing pin by using the safety.... Oops! Another quality design! And the reason I called the P 85 the pistol version of the mini 14 is because they weigh the same! A more clunky, chunky abomination I can't think of, But as you pointed out they are fine pistols.......for someone else to own! 🤣

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mmmmm Hi Point!!!!

After watching that film clip I can honestly say 3 things 1, he sure doesn't know how to assemble a good AR, 2, blaming fliers on different brass in 223 is just plain wrong! GI brass and civilian brass are the same! In 308, 30-06 yes but in 223 no. 3 his idea of keeping a barrel cooking hot and mine are vastly different! I was surprised at the group the mini turned in though. Lastly that thing could have been half as long as it was.... Man he likes to hear his own voice! I bet he own two swords!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mmmmm Hi Point!!!!

After watching that film clip I can honestly say 3 things 1, he sure doesn't know how to assemble a good AR, 2, blaming fliers on different brass in 223 is just plain wrong! GI brass and civilian brass are the same! In 308, 30-06 yes but in 223 no. 3 his idea of keeping a barrel cooking hot and mine are vastly different! I was surprised at the group the mini turned in though. Lastly that thing could have been half as long as it was.... Man he likes to hear his own voice! I bet he own two swords!
1) I have owned a P-89 for years without issue. No idea on the P-85.
2) True, he really likes to talk. I could not sit thru the whole thing and plan to watch it right before bed time. Should help me get to sleep.
3) There is a difference in GI and civilian brass. The civilian 223 brass is not as thick as the military 5.56 x 45 brass. I do not think this will cause flyers but have never reloaded either.
4) Us two sword guys do not like to hear ourselves talk. We do like trolling fanboys online but not making long videos.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a P95 in the nightstand and while I would never claim it being a beauty I can run the thing in my sleep so it has that going for it.
IMG_0865.jpeg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just having a little fun with you guys. Sootch, Military Arms Channel and Firearms Blog all to pretty good comparison videos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom