Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a clue, and personally I would need to fire at least 5000 rds thru an AR without a jam before I would believe them. It is fun watching them get their panties in a bunch over a personal preference.
I can just see you doing that reliability test, Ken looking down from Heaven, shaking his head in disgust.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting one of mine (a GB made in 79 I bought used) since the late 80s. I don't recall a malfunction (when using factory mags) and it's never had a broken part. As a matter of fact, I don't personally know of anyone who's had a part break in one. The GB still has the original recoil spring in it...unless the previous owner put a new one in. I don't shoot it a lot but I've probably fired 2 to 3 thousand rounds thru it since I've owned it. My new(er) one is only a few years old and I haven't shot it a lot. But, no malfunctions and nothing broken. Both are accurate enough for what I do with them. The newer one seems to be a LOT more accurate than the old one.

The Mini-14 is a lot like the 1911 in the sense so many people like to trash talk them. I don't care. I like 'em, obsolete or not. Not everyone is a competition shooter and no one (here, anyway) is taking one to war. They're carrying them around a ranch or a farm or using them for recreation. And they're perfectly acceptable for that.

I went to a Ruger Armorer's course in 1994-ish and have lots of spare parts...somewhere. Never used one.

Everyone knows the mag issue... So use factory mags. Problem solved.
^^^^^^^^^

This is pretty much my experience as well. I have both and I like both and won't trash-talk either.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Double down achieved.

I think we're well beyond "double down" status...

Not a clue, and personally I would need to fire at least 5000 rds thru an AR without a jam before I would believe them. It is fun watching them get their panties in a bunch over a personal preference.

ROFL.gif

The funniest part of your posts are that you have no idea how ridiculously...ridiculous...you sound. Especially when you post s*** like this. You have no clue what's going on here, do you? That was rhetorical. No need to answer.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you apply this 5000 round standard to every gun you own or consider owning? Or just the ones that got a "friend" killed 45 or 50 years ago? Have you ever even fired 5000 rounds thru any single gun? Because for the average person/gun owner that would be really unusual. Not saying it's not done...plenty of people have done that and more thru a gun. But for the average gun owner, highly unlikely.

FFS...I've had duty guns that I shot a lot (and didn't have to pay for the ammo) and it would take a year or two, at least, to shoot that much.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my first mini-14 like 4 years ago and a mini-30 last year. Didn't need either, but wanted to add them to my collection. They'll get shot, but won't be something taken out too often unless it's to play around at the range.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you apply this 5000 round standard to every gun you own or consider owning? Or just the ones that got a "friend" killed 45 or 50 years ago? Have you ever even fired 5000 rounds thru any single gun? Because for the average person/gun owner that would be really unusual. Not saying it's not done...plenty of people have done that and more thru a gun. But for the average gun owner, highly unlikely.

FFS...I've had duty guns that I shot a lot (and didn't have to pay for the ammo) and it would take a year or two, at least, to shoot that much.
Yes I have done that with a few guns. Not all by any means but a 10/22 many years ago, an FN49 in 8mm back when you could get surplus ammo cheap, and a couple of 22 pistols. I had a 10 acre place out in the country and my own range. Well really just the side of a hill I used as backstop and an old picnic table bench to put my targets on. Mostly old cans or plastic milk jugs.

As to why, I had bad experiences with the AR platform, it is going to take a lot to convince me. That is all there is to it.

Look you can talk all you want. I am enjoying watching you guys freak out because someone does not think the ARs are great, but words are not going to change my mind so you might as well give it a rest. I will continue to state my beliefs until something happens to change my mind.