It doesn't have to be us vs them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some members who are so myopic in their views (and frankly, insecure) that they cannot countenance any other way of thinking.

Well, possibly. However, I think it is plainly evident what tolerance, broad-mindedness, and understanding has gained us on this particular topic. There is no logic, reason, or tolerance from the vast majority of the liberal leftists on this subject, and I have noted those that have the logic eventually switch sides. When one of their key platforms is gun control, you just have to honor the threat.

I suggest that the Stockdale Paradox is applicable here.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It comes down to statism. Government, no matter how small is statism. The state sustains itself by the theft and transfer of property (redistribution of wealth) of the individual's paycheck to pay for government services such as teachers, police, dog catcher, etc. "Thou shalt not steal" is shoved to the side and forgotten so long as it's for "we the people".

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It comes down to statism. Government, no matter how small is statism. The state sustains itself by the theft and transfer of property (redistribution of wealth) of the individual's paycheck to pay for government services such as teachers, police, dog catcher, etc. "Thou shalt not steal" is shoved to the side and forgotten so long as it's for "we the people".

Yep....

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone has valid points in here. My point was, all other politics aside, this is a shooting site and we should work to promote shooting sports with everyone, not just those whose politics we agree with. It'd be great if despite all other differences, both sides stood firm on gun rights. And with recent publicity, I think it could at least sway that somewhat if we all (the whole shooting community) do our part.

Regardless of your feelings on religion, the "bring someone to church this month" concept could work for the range too...

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to get flamed for this, I know that already. But I see the bashing of "liberals" here every day. This doesn't help us promote firearms, it just makes the pro-gun community come off exactly as those who aren't familiar with guns or people who shoot guns expect them to... hostile, hot-headed, and antagonistic. I know more "liberals" who enjoy shooting than I can count, but they are put off by sites like these. We would be in a MUCH stronger position if we welcomed all pro-gun people and worked to educate those who aren't. From my experience, 90% of anti-gun sentiment comes from those who have never fired one. In Oklahoma this seems absurd, but in many urban locations it's just normal. The only guns many see are in the movies. I have taken numerous people who are strongly anti-gun shooting... and every single one of them has had fun. Did they all change their minds instantly? No. But they do view guns in a different, less hostile light now than before. I ask you this: What happens when a "liberal" decides they want to protect their family and learn about guns? They turn to the internet. We could be a place where they know they can come and learn, or a place that pushes them away. I know which I think is more productive. No one is saying everyone has to agree on all politics, this nation was founded on divergent views, but we are all under one constitution. No one view is right (despite how strongly one may feel). If we can just agree to disagree on other issues and realize this IS a gun forum and work together on gun rights and education... we will be a much stronger community.

Take a look at this, these could be our allies:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gun-club-liberals-challenges-nra/story?id=22557321

My flame-suit is on, and my fire extinguisher ready. Fire away.

Moderators: I hought the news post makes this a relevant 2a political happening and picked this category for this post, please move it if not.

Bravo! I agree. The bigger our tent is, the more secure our rights are. Liberals should be encouraged to become shooters. For years the Second Amendment Democrats have been doing just that, even though all Democrats are not liberals. Anyone from Yellow Dog Democrat southeastern Oklahoma can attest to that. This gun club for liberals is a very positive development. Welcome them.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bravo! I agree. The bigger our tent is, the more secure our rights are. Liberals should be encouraged to become shooters. For years the Second Amendment Democrats have been doing just that, even though all Democrats are not liberals. Anyone from Yellow Dog Democrat southeastern Oklahoma can attest to that. This gun club for liberals is a very positive development. Welcome them.

I am glad to see others feel the same. Also, very well said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom