Job Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alright, so for the past year I've been working two part time jobs - one in retail and the other in a more "professional" environment. I anticipate my supervisor in the professional job will be leaving in the next 3-6 months, in which case I would hope to move up into her full time position. We have a competitor, so to speak, down the hallway from our office who has been struggling to fill a full time position in their office for the past year. I interviewed for this position last year, actually, but was not selected. The person who was selected ended up quitting just a few months after starting, and so their office has been vacant for nearly 6 months. They went through another round of interviews after she quit and both their #1 and #2 candidates ended up turning down the position for different reasons (one had found another position in the time it took them to complete the hiring process and the other decided it was simply too far of a commute). I was approached last week by this other company to see if I was still interested in the position. My first inclination was "no", but I didnt give an immediate answer.

Now, I'm obviously interested simply because its a full time position and I would not have to work two part time jobs any more.

My apprehensions are that the person who would supervise the position has a reputation for micro-managing. Also, the fact that a full time position may open in my current office in the next 3-6 months. I would prefer to work for my present employer if given a choice, but even when the full time position in my present employer opens, there's no certainty I'd get it (though I would be the obvious choice).

I have no idea what the other position pays, and that's the main reason I responded that I was interested in discussing it further. The fact that I'm their number five or six choice, doesn't exactly endear me to them either.

What do you folks think?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you, of course using your best judgment on this, should talk to your current supervisor. Ask how certain they are a full time spot will be opening up in your division (or whatever it is) and ask an honest opinion on your chances of getting it. Explain that you've gotten an offer to move over and while you'd love to work 1 full time job instead of 2 part times, you'd rather do so for your current supervisor and would rather wait if your chances are strong to solid.

Or something to that nature. You current supervisor might appreciate your honesty and loyalty.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The micro-managing is the reason the person they selected a year ago quit after just a few months. It's also not something I would appreciate, and I plan to ask about the amount of independence I'd have during the discussions.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't work for people that micro-manage. If you trust me enough to hire me, let me do my job. Just be upmfront with your current employer and let them know the situation as well as yourm wishes to stay with them if you can. See what they say and go from there.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like there are reasons why others have left and you're already predisposed to having those same feelings were you to get the job.

I agree with Danny that you use this as an opportunity to approach your current employer and lay out your goals to them and see where the chips fall.

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have a meeting with yoy current superviser explain your situaltion, wanting to work full-time, getting the offer from the other company etc.. but love were your working and would rather stay. Being honest & up front with them and they like your work they will make it happen and they will tell you. If they are a honest, stand up company they will tell you one way or another right then and not lead you on so you lose the chance for both full-time jobs. Go with what make you happy the money comes by working hard!!

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on all the micro-management responses. That's the #1 reason I refuse to go back into management unless I'm high enough to make all of the decisions. Lower level mgt positions are fighting multiple fronts, get overruled by above and take blame from those below. Unless you work with/for a good team and good company, it sucks to be in mgt and not really be in charge.

If your are the supervisor/mgr and get micro managed from above, your stress level will grow exponentially.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your are the supervisor/mgr and get micro managed from above, your stress level will grow exponentially.

My current position to the T. I make a ruling on a problem and expect it to be followed. What happens I have the employee go to my boss because they didn't like what I told them. He overrules me. This happens a majority of the time. This is a major reason I'm looking for another job.

My personal and professional opinion would be to setup a meeting with your current supervisor. Discuss your future with the company. Ask the likelyhood of a fulltime position. This way you can feel out your worth to the company. You may get information that will help you make a decision.

Latest posts

Top Bottom