Jug fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes i have used catfish as bait every time i fish at webber falls.
Some days the shad will not catch fish..so when i do finally catch a fish i filet it and use the belly meat and tail and internals for bait..i even remove meat from the head..Then i start catching fish.

I can leave the fish on for 2x as long as the shad and still catch fish.
After 45 minutes to 1 hour the shad needs replaced.
Picky eaters there sometimes.
If the catfish is a small one i will cut it into chunks and use it.
I have used snakes as bait ..never caught anything.

The liver from the cats will usually catch stripers or sandbass there.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've cut the liver out of snakes and wormed it on, caught fish on it until it was too torn up to stay on the hook. (but they were biting anything that day)
Never had much luck using drum, but I'd rather have a live baby carp as anything for blues and flatheads.
I've seen guys on TV using small bullheads, they claim flatheads love 'em. I've also heard small crappie work well, too.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've cut the liver out of snakes and wormed it on, caught fish on it until it was too torn up to stay on the hook. (but they were biting anything that day)
Never had much luck using drum, but I'd rather have a live baby carp as anything for blues and flatheads.
I've seen guys on TV using small bullheads, they claim flatheads love 'em. I've also heard small crappie work well, too.

I love using bullheads. They make great bait, very lively, and can stay alive for days on a hook.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Set out some jugs on Kaw yesterday. Right after setting out the last one, a couple of guys that were camping set out theirs about 40' next to mine. I asked them if they saw my line, and their reply was its a public lake and they can do what they want.
I said a few things that weren't politically correct, and left. Figured my stuff would be gone.
Went back this afternoon, with all still there, but they had packed up and left.
Took 6 or 7 off with the biggest running 12 lbs.
the last jug took some looking to find. Finally spotted it, and when I pulled it up, it was heavy, but no fight like a fish. Getting it up, it was a 20 pounder or so that somebody pulled in, filleted, and put back in.
I wonder who did it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396402273.011997.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it was a 20 pounder or so that somebody pulled in, filleted, and put back in.
I wonder who did it?

What complete pieces of chit. Anytime I've set out jugs, I've patrolled them or sat where I could see them due to this. Caught a kayaker checking one once. He got a severe ass chewing and I followed him a good half mile until he was well away from my jugs. And he thought I was the a-hole...

Latest posts

Top Bottom