Jug fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was bass fishing early in the morning on Tenkiller. I had a jug come up behind me and bump into my boat. I quickly grabbed it and pulled it in slowly. It was a huge flathead, guessing in the 30-40 pound range, it was barely hooked. Since I had it up to the top, I re-hooked it more securely and let it go.

I caught a lot of fish after that, I will go with a case of good karma.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had jugs "run" before, it's going to happen. No biggy, like DH says, it's just a fish. As long as they don't steal or damage my jug, I'll not worry to much on it.
I can say I have pulled a fish off another guys jug on Oologah. We had been running our jugs for 2-3 hrs and no other jugs in the area. Saw this jug bobbing in our string, checked it and found a 15# blue on it. Left it, did a huge 1/4 to 1/2 mile trip around thhe area, no jugs found. Went back and by now the fish is struggling. I didn't feel bad about taking the fish, tossed the jug back. Wrong? Probably. But hate seeing a fish lost like that.
Wouldn't have a problem with someone doing the same if I had a jug travel outside of my area and couldn't find it. Oh yeah, it was broad daylight, one of the few times I jugged during the daylight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually called the local ODW warden about abandoned jugs last year. Moss growing all over them etc, no visible name, addy, as required by law.

He said to leave them and notify a GW about the location. They would see that they are picked up.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
about 20 years ago was bird hunting in 1st week of dec and was going down a small pnd dam and seen where a trout line was tied off at the bank and ran out to a stump was was tied off at that end told my buddy I hate it when people leave their lines in the water.I ask the land owner if he knew who line it was and he didn't.three days later we where hunting down the same dam and when I walk by the trot line I noticed it move I thought what the heck lifted it up to see what it was and as I was trying to lift up high enough to see and the line broke behind the fish so I pulled it in.it was a flathead about 25 lbs.the line hadn't been baited it had silver hooks on it I don't know if the flat bit the bare hook or anther fish had then he bit the fish.that day I took a limit of quail & 25 lb flat home don't do that everyday.knowing what I know about flathead behavior I am know surprised it bit in the winter and back the we had winters

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually called the local ODW warden about abandoned jugs last year. Moss growing all over them etc, no visible name, addy, as required by law.

He said to leave them and notify a GW about the location. They would see that they are picked up.

I have picked up some like this - obvious they'd been in water for months.
Pulled up a trotline once, also. We found it 'cause it had about a 60lb spoonbill dead on it, floated up, didn't look right. Had several more fish on, a couple pitiful looking blues we turned loose, and a couple the turtles had partially consumed.
The guy that set the line obviously knew what he was doing, and had invested plenty of time and money on it. I figure he must've set the line, then had a heart attack or something and was never able to return to it.
(my grandpa died right after returning home from setting a trotline, but his buddy was able to go back to it)

There's a big difference in lost/abandoned lines and running someone else's stuff.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was camped on Eufaula once within sight of our jugs when a pontoon came up to check them as we sat around the fire. I hit their boat with a handheld spotlight from the bank. It was almost comical to see their reaction. They made a hasty retreat. That's the lazy redneck way to run jugs. Launch at about 10-11 in the spring and summer and run other people's jugs until sunrise. Pretty scummy. Just part of set line fishing tho.

I cut/take every clearly abandoned line I find. I notice a lot are not marked. I find a lot of limblines abandoned on the lower section of the Buff. People run johnboats up from the White in high water. It drops and they can't get back up through the riffles. Oftentimes the lines are out of the water, sometimes with dead fish. Hazard to birds and the faces of kayakers.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, theres nothing like hooking up with an old line with a crank bait, down about 10 feet deep with the wind blowing you. Feels like you got the lake record on for a little bit.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out Friday - fish were almost jumping in the boat! Caught more than I wanted to clean, all blues, up to 13 lbs. Back out on Saturday - wind sucked, but fish were still biting hard - caught another batch up to 10 lbs. Keystone Lake, shad were easy to get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom