June Practical Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These matches seem like an outstanding place to find out what gear works and what doesn't IMHO. I've learned a ton about where the problems in my skillset are. As long as the shooter is being safe and having a good time, I say go for it.

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Something else I am trying is having shooters print and bring their scoresheets. They are avaiable at the Yahoo Group in the files section. This way you can have your name and division printed on them and it makes my tired old eyes not have to work so hard. Thanks for everyones patience and help. Never foget this is YOUR match!
Dave

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as what works, I found out what doesn't work, at least for me. Trying to charge the chamber, with the rifle on the left shoulder (non-dominant side for me), is fraught with possible disaster. I managed to create a double-feed jam that required dropping the mag and gently prying the bottom round out by the rim. It took almost no force to remove the stuck round, but lacking a knife or other tool it would have been inaccessible. My dummy move cost me at least 60 seconds on the stage, which I did shoot to completion upon clearing.

These matches are great learning experiences, as well as a hoot to shoot as well.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, thank you to everyone that makes this happen and especially, Snyperc and everyone that set up the match and to Glocktogo and TJ E (our squad's safety officers). Also, it was great to meet (in no particular order) Tacmedic, Shifty, Smokeyokc, Spiff, Prdator, AresV and I think there was one more OSAer on our squad. Okietech came with me.

Second, as a newb, don't feel intimidated, worried, confused or under prepared. The guys out there will walk you through everything and everyone that I encountered were very understanding. If you are not sure about anything, just say so and someone will explain it and break it down for you. This was the first time that I have shot that I a. wasn't hunting, or b. just standing still plinking holes in paper and man did it get me thinking that I need to practice under more realistic circumstances. I have never shot off-handed nor while moving with a rifle. If you haven't then you need to get out there and try.

3. $12 is the best money I have spent in a long time. For about 4 hours of total fun and eye opening status of my abilities. If you are trying to decide "Do I want to go to the gun show or try out this practical rifle thing." stop right now and put that $12 bucks to good use and go shoot.

If I were in town on July 5th I would be there. I have already made plans for August 1st so that I can attend that match. That is my only warning. This looks addictive (even more than OSA).

Thanks again everyone and next time, please feel free to give me all the pointers I really need to improve.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a nice match. I'm disappointed that I had to leave early due to a recurring injury thats getting close to getting fixed in surgery. Not to mention I didnt want to over do it with the ProAm major coming up. My main focus is staying healthy. I tried to stay, but I was in so much pain I got very sick to my stomach and almost puked on Stage 1. My apologies to those I wasnt real outreach friendly to. I was kinda hurtin. Hope to see you all again next month!

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dave for another awesome match! I got a little "quiet time" with my newest SBR/suppressor combo...now I need to practice some more with it.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just thought I'd throw in some praise as well. This was my first match and it was a blast! Thanks Dave and everyone else that set it up!
I have family in town on the 5th but I am going to try to talk my brother into ditching the wives and kids and coming to shoot 'em up.

Jesse

Latest posts

Top Bottom