Larry Vickers roasts AR-15.com!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps it's just me, but "tactical tv" has all gotten this way. Same for gun rags. Every time I see a Combat Guns & Weapons For Douchebags magazine cover I absolutely want to puke. In that type of environment, I guess you pretty much have to put on a polarizing performance to get your message across.

Let's face it, this is how a large percentage of operator types talk. There's too much BS out there for them to waste time arguing on the internet or in a carbine class with know it all types who want to argue insignificant points. Sure the markings on the lower are irrelevant. But his mission in this video is to sell a product to the washed and unwashed masses. If he sells more of them while pissing a few internet commandos off in the process, he's probably going to enjoy it a little more.

I tend to avoid hanging around egotistical types for kicks, but I'd probably take a class from him. If you think the atmosphere on barfcom is rough, try spending some time over on m4carbine.net. They have an amassed level of knowledge on running the AR platform at 105% that barfcom couldn't touch. But dear God, the level of narcissistic, egotistical, self-congratulatory BS they rain down on everyone else is enough to piss anyone off. Ask the wrong question over there and you'll feel like you just endured the Spanish Inquisition!

If you have thick enough skin to endure, you'll wind up with gear and tactics that work under adverse conditions. If you don't feel you need that, then don't. I happen to like stuff that works, as most who have shot with me have seen. Daniel Defense makes great gear, just as companies like BCM, Noveske, Magpul, Troy, etc. do. Most AR buyers don't even know who LAV is. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on him being "douchey" in a product ad designed to appeal to a narrow segment of the AR buying public.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LAV is a douche.

Larry is certainly opinionated and arrogant but he's no douche.

However those traits are epidemic in the Special Operations community, which is high testosterone. Some folks just can't survive in that environment and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you recognize those folks for who they are and give them a wide berth.

Folks may not like him, but he's no douche.

Douche implies a large quantity of cowardice which is best exemplified by those who will not confront others in any manner other than from behind a keyboard.

That certainly does NOT include Larry Vickers who has fought bravely against some of this country's most viscious enemies and is no punk.

It's really only worth calling someone a douche if you'll do it to their face and calling someone who has manned up the way Larry Vickers has a douche smacks of unwillingness to put yourself on the line the way he has.

Michael Brown

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

However those traits are epidemic in the Special Operations community, which is high testosterone. Some folks just can't survive in that environment and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you recognize those folks for who they are and give them a wide berth.

Douche implies a large quantity of cowardice which is best exemplified by those who will not confront others in any manner other than from behind a keyboard.

That certainly does NOT include Larry Vickers who has fought bravely against some of this country's most viscious enemies and is no punk.

It's really only worth calling someone a douche if you'll do it to their face and calling someone who has manned up the way Larry Vickers has a douche smacks of unwillingness to put yourself on the line the way he has.

Michael Brown

You dont know me very well. I dont type things I am unwilling to say to anyones face. Thats not saying Im a badass, and I do realize a IRL former operator could most certainly put a thump down on me. But the question is, would he? If the answer is yes, his level of vinegary scent just increased ten fold.

And douche doesnt imply cowardice. It implies someone being a jerk or an *******.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Michael Brown

Well said Mike!!!!

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps it's just me, but "tactical tv" has all gotten this way. Same for gun rags. Every time I see a Combat Guns & Weapons For Douchebags magazine cover I absolutely want to puke. In that type of environment, I guess you pretty much have to put on a polarizing performance to get your message across.

Let's face it, this is how a large percentage of operator types talk. There's too much BS out there for them to waste time arguing on the internet or in a carbine class with know it all types who want to argue insignificant points. Sure the markings on the lower are irrelevant. But his mission in this video is to sell a product to the washed and unwashed masses. If he sells more of them while pissing a few internet commandos off in the process, he's probably going to enjoy it a little more.

I tend to avoid hanging around egotistical types for kicks, but I'd probably take a class from him. If you think the atmosphere on barfcom is rough, try spending some time over on m4carbine.net. They have an amassed level of knowledge on running the AR platform at 105% that barfcom couldn't touch. But dear God, the level of narcissistic, egotistical, self-congratulatory BS they rain down on everyone else is enough to piss anyone off. Ask the wrong question over there and you'll feel like you just endured the Spanish Inquisition!

If you have thick enough skin to endure, you'll wind up with gear and tactics that work under adverse conditions. If you don't feel you need that, then don't. I happen to like stuff that works, as most who have shot with me have seen. Daniel Defense makes great gear, just as companies like BCM, Noveske, Magpul, Troy, etc. do. Most AR buyers don't even know who LAV is. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on him being "douchey" in a product ad designed to appeal to a narrow segment of the AR buying public.

Well said!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VTAC is Kyle Lamb's company not Larry Vickers FYI.

Michael Brown

Right, mistyped and meant the VCAS, as in the sling.

Most of us do recognize our station in life, or our new station in life, as hobby shooters. I have no stats, but I would venture a guess that a large, if not the largest, part of the AR-15 market is comprised of people who punch holes in paper and do something else for a living. Even the vast majority of LEO's spend the majority of their time doing something else besides shooting.

So for Vickers and DD to seem to marginalize the biggest segement of the market seems a bit odd.

There's a difference between being offended and being unimpressed. I am impressed by Larry's background and accomplishments, but not by the marketing plan he's being paid to be a part of.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a difference between being offended and being unimpressed. I am impressed by Larry's background and accomplishments, but not by the marketing plan he's being paid to be a part of.

I believe that to be a legitimate beef.

I find it substantially different than some of the grievances I've read here.

Michael Brown

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Michael Brown

Excellent post.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dont know me very well. I dont type things I am unwilling to say to anyones face.

You are correct; I do not know you very well. I only know what you type.

That said, my personal experience has been that those who spend a great deal of time critiquing over the internet do not have much to say in person.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom