Latest in the Jerome Jay Ersland saga.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... I do see a lot of people saying that your mindset and the way you train will have a lot to do with the way you react....

+1

Also +1 to HMFIC's last post.

Like others here I have no way to gauge how I would respond to a threat like Ersland was put into. I will say I have come to understand not spazzing out. When I was a young man I became an EMT/Paramedic back home in MD. In the early days of my training I'd be all amped up on arrival at the more 'exciting' calls.

After a bit I stopped running around like an excited puppy and started to pay attention to the seasoned guys and gals on the medic unit. They were never in a hurry and rarely ever seemed unduly hyped up. After some mentoring by one of the lieutenants I came to understand that mindset. It's the calm 'Game on' professionalism that came with experience and training. In less than a year I was rock steady. Even when we rolled up on the nastiest of situations. I'm hoping I will not pee my undies and be that rock if I ever find myself faced with somebody intent on harming me.

I only say this because after watching the circus that this sad saga came to be I'm certain JJE was just itching for some punk to try this. (I'll show these scumbags!) I'm sure he was taking his wrath out instead of just fending off the threat and protecting the two ladies in the store with Parker. What a tool.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hopefully you didn't have back surgery 6 weeks prior....

this guy has been suffering nightmares ever since the first time....

and it continues to happen, just watched tonights news...

Yeah, well, he said he has nightmares from killing "lots" of people with a ".50 cal in Iraq" too ...

We all have our own burdens to bear ... doesn't make it okay to go running down the street shooting at people and then coming back and shooting some more ...

I am in no way defending what Parker and is accomplices did ... but I can't defend what Ersland did either ...

Again, we expect our military and LEO to behave with a certain amount of self-restraint. How can we hold conceal carry holders to any less of a standard? I will state again, for the record, if you carry a gun and you don't think you have the ability to respond to the threat of lethal force in an appropriate manner re-evaluate your mindset and SEEK TRAINING ... LOTS OF IT!!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"hey m fer, give me all your money... BAMM BAMMM" 30 seconds later... you people know exactly what to do... please...

I'd say that instinct, training and what is at your core take over coupled with a combination of fear & anger.

Was Ersland's instinct to go beyond what he should?
Did he train himself to murder an unarmed and incapacitated assailant?
Was that due his mindset? His beliefs? His fantasies? His medications? Some combo of all of it? :anyone:

One of the creeds I follow is that "Whether you believe you can or you cannot; you are correct." It is the embodiment of your mental state determining your actions, even in your subconscious. This translates even to situations like this where however I view Ersland's actions can affect my mental state. If I give Ersland a pass, then my assesment of his situation becomes contradictory to my own convictions. I don't want an illogical argument going on inside my head.

HCM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ersland definitely has issues. But a murder 1 charge from 12 fellow okies ....BS! Where is our state going. This could have a major impact on everyone's rights to defend. The people involved in that robbery were scum and this circus that has ensued is embarrassing.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ersland definitely has issues. But a murder 1 charge from 12 fellow okies ....BS! Where is our state going. This could have a major impact on everyone's rights to defend. The people involved in that robbery were scum and this circus that has ensued is embarrassing.

Those last 5 shots had nothing to do with self defense and Erslands claims that the kid was still alive left the DA no other choice and no sane person could watch the video of Ersland executing the kid and think anything other than murder.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's truly frightening is that so many of you don't get it. There are a lot of folks who have a CCL who have no business even owning a gun, much less carrying one.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's truly frightening is that so many of you don't get it. There are a lot of folks who have a CCL who have no business even owning a gun, much less carrying one.

But how can we truly tell who should and shouldn't? I know what you are saying, but 2nd amendment is for all.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1. Ersland's "issues" do not give him a pass to act indiscriminately.

2. Ersland's own actions and words are what got him the murder 1 charge from the DA and conviction from the jury.

3. You are correct on the impact this has one everyone's right to defend themselves. Unfortunately Ersland's actions and comments have put ALL conceal carry holders in a very bad light.

4. Again, you are correct. The people involved in the robbery were scum and the circus that has ensued is embarrassing.

Some of us will study what Ersland did and/or did not do and learn from it. As HMFIC has said many times over in this thread, you are what you think you are ... It is obvious to me that Ersland considered himself above the law and was out to prove a point. He thought nothing of killing an unarmed, defenseless man and then lying about EVERYTHING under the sun to try and worm his way out of it.

EVERYONE in this situation should take responsibility for their actions. I will give you that Ersland did not "choose" to be robbed that day ... but he DID CHOOSE to respond the way he did ...

I will say it again because it is important ...

We expect our military and LEO to behave with a certain amount of self-restraint. How can we hold conceal carry holders to any less of a standard? If you carry a gun and you don't think you have the ability to respond to the threat of lethal force in an appropriate manner you need to re-evaluate your mindset and SEEK TRAINING ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom