Legal to carry in polling place?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I searched. Haven't been able to find out if it's legal to carry into a polling place, assuming that it is a place that isn't otherwise illegal to carry into. I don't see that as a building owned or leased by the government for doing business with the public, in fact I wouldn't think of voting as the "government doing business with the public" at all. Many polling places are in churches or in my case, an Elks lodge.

It's understood that carrying at a government building or a school is clearly off-limits.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my case, I need to go to the local community center. Which as far as I know is owned by the city directly behind the courthouse, but is generally rented out for private events.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is being used in the function of government, you are not permitted to carry. Obviously, voting is a political function, so don't do it.

Can you cite the part of the law that says this....I can't find one anywhere. Schools, check. Government buildings used for doing business with the public, check. Meetings of government or elected officials, check. Don't see anything that says private property when used for government functions.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If weapons were permited at voting locations.. then the black panthers with billy clubs wouldn't have been such a big deal. In the case of the panthers, Holder decided not to prosecute. Since I'm not a panther, I wouldn't carry a weapon at a polling place for any amount of money.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its my understanding that firearms has be prohibited in polling places since the being of time. i wouldnt attempt it myself.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does something need to be quoted? It is OBVIOUS that a polling place, regardless of venue, is a government function. No different than a political debate being held at a park or privately owned location. You can argue semantics all you want, but why would you put yourself is that situation?? Why would you put yourself in a position to be regarded and intimidating in a polling place? It's a given that not everyone is comfortable being around firearms. If it was discovered that you were armed in a polling place by someone and they said you made them uncomfortable... guess what, your now Guilty of intimidating other voters. Why would you even consider bringing that type of bad press or possible legal trouble to yourself?.?

Latest posts

Top Bottom