Legal to carry in polling place?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While I believe Constitutional carry should be the norm and most Oklahomans wouldn't think a thing about seeing a lawful citizen exercising his/her right to vote and carry at the same time, the implications of being compared to the New Black Panther thugs carrying bats while "guarding" a polling location isn't a good look on the national scene that would like nothing more than to demonize Oklahoma. Besides, being arrested for carrying a firearm on what could be considered a government function would likely be very costly both financially and could easily lead to a loss of the few rights rights they formerly had.

I support the spirit of the idea, but doubt the wisdom.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any government building or office space used for conducting business with the public.
While serving as a polling place these spaces are rented by the state to conduct official business!
Obviously if your polling place is im a school or municipal building they are always off limits. Other sites are rented or used by the government, staffed by paid government workers, and used for conducting government business with the public. Read Title 26 Oklahoma Statutes.

Last edited:

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with OSBI and they seemed to think that it would be legal to carry a firearm into a polling place that was on private property as long as it was not against the business owners wishes.

However OSBI was not sure if churches were leased or if they just offered up some space as a civic duty. Recommenced to call the election board. Surprise surprise, the election board phone was busy today.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does something need to be quoted? It is OBVIOUS that a polling place, regardless of venue, is a government function. No different than a political debate being held at a park or privately owned location. You can argue semantics all you want, but why would you put yourself is that situation?? Why would you put yourself in a position to be regarded and intimidating in a polling place? It's a given that not everyone is comfortable being around firearms. If it was discovered that you were armed in a polling place by someone and they said you made them uncomfortable... guess what, your now Guilty of intimidating other voters. Why would you even consider bringing that type of bad press or possible legal trouble to yourself?.?

Debates are typically organized by the political parties themselves or a special non-biased organization of volunteers. Please show me in the constitution that the government is responsible for hosting and organizing debates.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if it is legal to carry in a polling place, but:

1. The reason some ask for a legal cite is because too many folks just pull an answer out of their rectal cavity and expect everyone to take it as gospel. There are still a lot of folks out there who continue to repeat myths about gun laws (can't carry in banks, can't carry in churches, can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, even had a guy recently tell me that handgun license holders who were given speeding tickets received double the points against their drivers license). The question was specific and should be answered with facts, not speculation.

2. Polling places are not always rented for voting, some are voluntarily offered at no cost.

3. I scanned Title 26, found a law that says possession of intoxicating liquor within 1/2 mile of a polling place is a misdemeanor (§2616112. Intoxicating liquors) but could find nothing saying that weapons were prohibited?

4. My polling place was posted, unfortunately I did not have a pen and paper to copy the legal info on the sign and I can't remember what it said.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if it is legal to carry in a polling place, but:

1. The reason some ask for a legal cite is because too many folks just pull an answer out of their rectal cavity and expect everyone to take it as gospel. There are still a lot of folks out there who continue to repeat myths about gun laws (can't carry in banks, can't carry in churches, can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, even had a guy recently tell me that handgun license holders who were given speeding tickets received double the points against their drivers license). The question was specific and should be answered with facts, not speculation.

2. Polling places are not always rented for voting, some are voluntarily offered at no cost.

3. I scanned Title 26, found a law that says possession of intoxicating liquor within 1/2 mile of a polling place is a misdemeanor (§2616112. Intoxicating liquors) but could find nothing saying that weapons were prohibited?

4. My polling place was posted, unfortunately I did not have a pen and paper to copy the legal info on the sign and I can't remember what it said.

The only thing I could find in writing about no cost polling places were those that were offered up by schools. I found this in an Administrative Rule (https://www.sos.ok.gov/oar/online/viewCode.aspx):

230:10-7-110. Boards to provide polling places said:
The Board of Education of any school district may, and the governing board of any municipality, shall furnish a room or rooms in any school building or municipal building for use as a polling place at no cost. [26:3-123]

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does something need to be quoted? It is OBVIOUS that a polling place, regardless of venue, is a government function. No different than a political debate being held at a park or privately owned location. You can argue semantics all you want, but why would you put yourself is that situation?? Why would you put yourself in a position to be regarded and intimidating in a polling place? It's a given that not everyone is comfortable being around firearms. If it was discovered that you were armed in a polling place by someone and they said you made them uncomfortable... guess what, your now Guilty of intimidating other voters. Why would you even consider bringing that type of bad press or possible legal trouble to yourself?.?

As someone has already said, citing the information gives proof that it exists from a credible source. Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. I have been asked for cites before and gladly provided them. What's wrong with being asked for a cite on a vague and seemingly undocumented issue.

What if your political debate was with 2 candidates, neither of whom were currently an elected official. It would be legal to carry at the park (not a prohibited place) since this is not a meeting of elected officials.

Following your logic, why would anyone do anything that ever made anyone else uncomfortable? Heaven forbid we should do that. Lets get rid of our new open carry law because some people won't like seeing guns in the possession of lawful citizens. Better yet, lets get rid of concealed carry as well because of the trauma it can cause people just knowing there are people around who might be carrying a gun.

A question was asked because a factual answer was unknown, what's wrong with wanting to know the answer to the question?

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone has already said, citing the information gives proof that it exists from a credible source. Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. I have been asked for cites before and gladly provided them. What's wrong with being asked for a cite on a vague and seemingly undocumented issue.

What if your political debate was with 2 candidates, neither of whom were currently an elected official. It would be legal to carry at the park (not a prohibited place) since this is not a meeting of elected officials.

Following your logic, why would anyone do anything that ever made anyone else uncomfortable? Heaven forbid we should do that. Lets get rid of our new open carry law because some people won't like seeing guns in the possession of lawful citizens. Better yet, lets get rid of concealed carry as well because of the trauma it can cause people just knowing there are people around who might be carrying a gun.

A question was asked because a factual answer was unknown, what's wrong with wanting to know the answer to the question?

Very large sign outside polling place citing 21 O.S. 1277, which I would assume is because they are considering it the "government doing business with the public".

Latest posts

Top Bottom