Let's talk medic's bags ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great topic. My volunteer FD does run medical calls to assist the local Paramedic service. There response time to our area is about 20-30 minutes, we are usually on scene 10-15 minutes before they arrive. Most of my guys are EMR (emergency medical responder) trained. That's the first level of the EMS system.

So really I think your first question should be what is your training level? What do you know how to use? Then go from there with your kit. I've made tons of medical calls but most were just sick calls, the only thing I did was assess the patient and take vitals and wait for EMS. I've done CPR/AED a few times (no success so hope you don't go down by me :lookaroun). Even on crashes it's usually just package the patient and get them ready to transport. So back to the question what do you carry in your fist aid kit? I jokingly say 4x4, roll gause, and triangle bandage is all you need. But if that is all you have you can actually patch up most wounds long enough for EMS. Of course we are talking about normal times. I'm not really going to talk about TEOTWAWKI. If you are in a situation that you have to use quickclot or a tourniquet and don't have a Dr. (that knows Emergency medicine) or hospital VERY close you are more than likely going to be SOL. Sorry that's just the way it is.

I have worked a couple of severe bleeds and have always just used direct pressure with success. Start with a sterile 4x4 then top with non sterile sponges as it soaks through. Had one where a guy fell and hit his head on a desk he was in shock when we arrived (blood EVERYWHERE it looked like a slaughter house) we put direct pressure and slowed it down but it wouldn't stop. Even after the paramedics arrived and used quickclot it wouldn't stop. Turns out he had nicked an artery in his forehead. He lost two pints of blood. I knew the guy and later told him he better be glad, we talked about using a tourniquet on his neck to stop the bleeding but thought he wouldn't appreciate that. :igetit:

In my truck kit, as I said earlier I keep 4x4, roll gauze, triangle bandage, assorted band-aids, an oral airway, CPR barrier, BP kit, antibiotic ointment, and a few other things for minor bo-boos. I do want to add the Israeli bandage (I have some in my get home bag) and some quickclot sponges and a tourniquet just in case. The war in Iran/Afghanistan has brought back the use of the tourniquet. They have found that even after two hours the limb can still be viable and most transport time from application to ER is WAY less than two hours. You still need to record the application time.

Sorry I kinda rambled here but the main thing is get some sort of first aid training. It doesn't take much know how to put pressure on a wound, but do you know how/when to move someone, or how to splint a fracture (or should you splint), What do you do if the patient stops breathing etc. With the training you will know what you need to carry.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My $0.02.
In my brain, there's always two parts to portable med supplies.

The "First aid/ sick call" stuff, and the actual trauma management stuff. Keep them seperate. Keep all the snivel crap available- bandaids, dressings, an ACE wrap or two, tape, irrigant (Bottled water works fine), disinfectants, Tylenol, NSAIs, nausea meds, etc.. It's ok to pick through it and fix whatever, then restock ASAP.

The trauma management stuff- Once packed, put a seal on the zipper or lid, attach a tag with component expiration dates, store in an appropriate location/ temperature and leave it alone until actually needed or it's time to replace or inspect it. Few things will piss off a medic more than someone casually picking through an aid bag in search of a band aid or roll of Kerlix to use as TP.

Don't forget light. Chem lights, LED headlights and flashlights sit up top and center along with gloves (Use the heavy duty EMS Nitrile gloves). Inexpensive welding shop safety glasses (With "Cheater lenses" for us older guys) are a wise addition.

IV catheter placement and fluid infusion? Meh.. Not a high priority if you're alone and up to your ass in injured folk. I'm fast and experienced, but it still takes me about 3 minutes or more to dig out, assemble and start an IV infusion... with decent light and on someone that has enough blood pressure to actually find a suitable vein. Add crappy light, wind, dirt, bloody or sweaty skin that tape won't stick to, odd positions, difficult access, cold fluids (Bad) and stress to the mix and you're gonna waste valuable time that could have been used to identify and treat other, or others with life threatening conditions.

Keep it simple, and the more you and your resources are stretched- keep it simpler. Tourniquets save lives. Read up on indications for use and don't be afraid to use them.

Immoliation sucks. Keep an ABC fire extinguisher with your bags if you are at risk for exposure to fire.

In this age of cell phones everywhere, people still forget to call for help. Either direct someone to make the 911 call or do it yourself.

This is good post. I usually carry my bandaid/sickcall type bag and leave the packed trauma stuff behind unless im going someplace very remote. IMO, for most of my travels, help is semi close by (15-20 mins)and all id have to do is call n stabilize until the Calvary arrives.

I know enough that I can stop any bleeding within minutes....might not be sterile or clean but itll stop. Other than stopping blood loss and ABCs its best to wait or relocate to where help is. It which case its about saving a life, limbs can wait.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tourniquets are making a comeback in EMS. The old theory of not using them has gone out the window and they are a very important part of out equipment cache. The EMS services are taking a lot of information that came out of the military and seeing the benefits outweigh the consequences.

The Army made it mandatory, to have a tourniquets in your duty uniform, if you are in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think this was around 05 or 06 .

Do to the tourniquets we have fewer deaths , but more amputation!

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never be afraid to use a tourniquet, but know how to use them well. They can be applied incorrectly (even if you put it on right), as can anything. BB, Jeff (TacMedic) makes the point in every class that TQs go on and stay on for hours at a time during surgery. If you guys want a rule to follow regarding tourniquets, it should be this: If it's an extremity, and it's bleeding, it gets a tourniquet. Every time, and as a start.

Didn't mean to jump off on a tangent, just felt like that needed brought up.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From another thread

I'll post one of my edc ish small kits. Don't judge the background, not my choice.

This stays attached to one of my packs. It is small, and meant to deal with small life threats. This doesn't have some of the items as similar sized kits I have (usually keep some Celox, Z fold gauze and a decompression needle with it.)

[Broken External Image] TT double M4 pouch, SOFT-T in the shock cord

[Broken External Image] contents of kit ( less D-needle, Celox and gauze)

[Broken External Image] Olaes modular bandage, 4". This is THE BEST bandage IMHO. It uses a forcing cup to put pressure directly in the wound, contains gauze for packing material and a plastic sheet for occlusive dressing. As far as bandages/dressings go it's the titties.

[Broken External Image]

Duct tape! Blood makes standard tapes (clear surgical, sports etc) pretty much useless. Duct tape has a million uses, and 5,000 of them are medical. This flat roll was achieved by wrapping gorilla brand duct tape around a 7-11 gift card, then trimming the card.

This is pretty good stuff, but proper training on how and WHEN to use this stuff would be much more beneficial. I'll try to get pics of my big car kit up later.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it just depends. What do you anticipating encountering? What do you want to be able to treat?

Here is my larger, mostly edc vehicle kit.

[Broken External Image]
LA Policegear 3 day backpack. There's a condor rip away EMT pouch on the side, EMT/trauma shears and SOFT-T tourniquet in the outer molle

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Contents of the Rip away pouch. Left to right: Tacmed blast bandage, nasal airway, Sharpie. Center: SOFT-T, hemostats, 4" Olaes bandage. Right: z packed gauze, cravat, duct tape, nitrile gloves.

[Broken External Image]

Lower backpack compartment: 4" Olaes and blast bandage. Ebay seller effed up an order, or I would have a different pouch to put these bandages in. I'll get on that soon, and this will hold some IV fluids.

Top pack pouch: Pocket BVM, King airway, nasal airway, surgical cric kit.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Main pouch insert: SOFT-T, Sharpie, Olaes 4" 2 each, Olaes 6 inch 2 each.

[Broken External Image]

Other side, outer pouch: Cravats 2 ea, gloves.

[Broken External Image]

middle pouch: King airway, nasal airway, nitrile gloves.

[Broken External Image]

bottom pouch: Cravat, z pack gauze.

[Broken External Image]
Main pouch pocket: vascular access kit.

I finally got my other pouch for my backpack. I was able to stuff a few 4x4's, the extra bandages from the bottom external pocket, a sam splint, Ace wrap and kerlix into the new pouch. The bottom external pocket is now only of vascular access kit and IV fluids. Top external pocket added another King airway and some oral airways, and is my Pocket BVM/ airway spot.

Surveyor, I see where you are coming from. I agree tourniquets aren't a bad thing, but they aren't a fix all. Many times, in the cities/suburbs, bleeds can be treated with other means. I've seen a .357 mag point blank wound to the calf. It entered the calf and exited the shin taking a decent amount of meat with it. The leg was bleeding, but was successfully treated with 4x4's and cling/kerlix. There was no tourniquet or packing to the bone. My point in this is tourniquets have their place, and can be applied liberally. They are not the cure all. I would generally agree it is better to use it if in doubt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom