Lies lies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how about someone from the power industry explain to me how when they do a blackout to conserve energy. The moment its turned back on doesn't it look like a Joe Biden ballot dump at 3 AM? Think a mega spike strait up since everyoned HVAC unit says WTH I am 4 deg below what I should be and they all kick on at once.
Because they turn other people off first... running blowers doesn’t cost that much. Now all electric ouch.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep my house at 69, & all my lights are led. So I am conserving energy in my mind.
Good thing is I do have a gas source of heat if the electric goes out, so about half my house would stay warm.
But just like in the summer time, when there is rolling blackouts, there has to be a big spike when the power comes back on & everyones A/C comes on at the same time & stays on longer to cool the place again.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't this create a bigger load on the power grid when they turn the power back on & all the furnaces come on all at once & stay on for a longer period of time?
That's what I was wondering, seems like they'd see a big spike when everyone came back.
As noted above, they kill the next circuit before they reactivate the last one (that's how the guy from PSO described it on channel 6). Even if they see a spike when the circuit comes back online, it's probably offset by the moment that both circuits are down, plus it's just going to be a transient spike--the load will still be lower than if everything were running.

They're not trying to drop the load permanently, they're just trying to decrease the load during peak hours to get them to the time of day when usage naturally decreases.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just trying to get my head around cutting off the gas. If they do that, then all the pilots go out. If they turn it back on while I'm at work, then there's gas filling up my house. I have to be missing something.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just trying to get my head around cutting off the gas. If they do that, then all the pilots go out. If they turn it back on while I'm at work, then there's gas filling up my house. I have to be missing something.
I don't think they'll do that for residential customers, as they'd have to go turn off the gas at the individual meters. When ONG replaced my meter a few years back, the guy doing the work had to come inside and verify that the valves on the gas lines to the water heater and furnace were off before they would disconnect the old meter and again before they opened the valve on the new meter.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm calling bullsheet on the usage overload. The electric companies didn't purchase enough electricity to provide customers or they forward sold the energy in the futures market and now have to purchase electricity on the open market. Bet u didn't know electricity is a market in which producers, grid operators, electric companies and consumers wager on how much electricity is needed. Kinda like last summer when a barrel of oil went negative price. BTW an average swimming pool holds 250 barrels of oil ;)
$9,000 for a megawatt. That's $9 per kilowatt!

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/en...tating-outages-cold-weather-tests-limits-grid

Update (1715ET):
As the day has progressed, amid deteriorating weather forecasts and no let up in demand (despite ERCOT's urgings), our trader contact at a Houston energy firm sums the situation up as eloquently and succinctly as ever:

"we've officially hit the 'Holy F@#$€£g S+%t Levels' here..."

As he shows in the tables below, the Day Ahead clear for energy has basically gone offer-less...

image006%20%286%29.png

If I was a betting man, I'd say folks are going to go out of business and we'll see more consolidation in this market, prior to a massive overhaul of market structure.

How long before Washington steps in with a probe of the power markets? A bailout for grid operators and perhaps some relief for actual residents who - we are desperately sad to say - may just freeze to death amid this 'perfect storm' of freezing temps and no supply of power to provide heat.

Wholesale power for delivery Sunday was trading at anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000 a megawatt-hour in some places, triple the records set in some places Saturday and a staggering 2,672% increase from Friday at Texas’s West hub. Average spot power prices were just shy of $1,000 per megawatt hour during peak hours Sunday morning, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think they'll do that for residential customers, as they'd have to go turn off the gas at the individual meters. When ONG replaced my meter a few years back, the guy doing the work had to come inside and verify that the valves on the gas lines to the water heater and furnace were off before they would disconnect the old meter and again before they opened the valve on the new meter.
If you have gas filling your house when the pilot goes out you need to have your gas unit fixed cause when the pilot goes out the thermacouple shuts the regulator off so no gas can escape thats what its there for.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm calling bullsheet on the usage overload. The electric companies didn't purchase enough electricity to provide customers or they forward sold the energy in the futures market and now have to purchase electricity on the open market. Bet u didn't know electricity is a market in which producers, grid operators, electric companies and consumers wager on how much electricity is needed. Kinda like last summer when a barrel of oil went negative price. BTW an average swimming pool holds 250 barrels of oil ;)
$9,000 for a megawatt. That's $9 per kilowatt!

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/en...tating-outages-cold-weather-tests-limits-grid

Update (1715ET):
As the day has progressed, amid deteriorating weather forecasts and no let up in demand (despite ERCOT's urgings), our trader contact at a Houston energy firm sums the situation up as eloquently and succinctly as ever:

"we've officially hit the 'Holy F@#$€£g S+%t Levels' here..."

As he shows in the tables below, the Day Ahead clear for energy has basically gone offer-less...

image006%20%286%29.png

If I was a betting man, I'd say folks are going to go out of business and we'll see more consolidation in this market, prior to a massive overhaul of market structure.

How long before Washington steps in with a probe of the power markets? A bailout for grid operators and perhaps some relief for actual residents who - we are desperately sad to say - may just freeze to death amid this 'perfect storm' of freezing temps and no supply of power to provide heat.

Wholesale power for delivery Sunday was trading at anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000 a megawatt-hour in some places, triple the records set in some places Saturday and a staggering 2,672% increase from Friday at Texas’s West hub. Average spot power prices were just shy of $1,000 per megawatt hour during peak hours Sunday morning, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

ERCOT Is it’s own train wreck that doesn’t play well with others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom