Livestock food source

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG! NO way!! Those things SCREAM like a dying woman when it is mating season ... :nolike: And they sound like men walking on the top of your little bitty single-wide trailer when they get up there to roost at night ... :nolike:

(My dad owned a veritable ZOO ... :D)

:laughup:

We were at a private campground at Lake Texana. They had lots of peacocks around camp. Mom was in the RV and we were all sitting outside about 9pm. A bunch of peacocks flew up to roost in the tree over the RV. A few seconds later, one lets out that blood curdling SCREAM. Mom comes busting out the door, .45 in hand, to see us laughing. Slent the next hour rehanging the door on the RV while Mom threw rocks into the tree.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG! NO way!! Those things SCREAM like a dying woman when it is mating season ... :nolike: And they sound like men walking on the top of your little bitty single-wide trailer when they get up there to roost at night ... :nolike:

Butcher em before they mature enough to think about mating.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So they need to be butchered as soon as they hatch?

Came in from work yesterday eve and wife was sitting out back laughing. Went to investigate. The black Cochin rooster was trying to mount a rabbit.
So THAT's where Easter eggs come from.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goats over pigs, pigs over cows for pure "sustainability" on a small area, but some animals work in unison,

Goats give us milk/meat, eat grain and weeds/grass/trees/parts of the porch
Chickens give us eggs/meat eat excess milk, table scraps, spilt grain, bugs, spread the cow manure out so it does not get nasty,
turkeys give meat, eat the same as chickens
ducks/geese- I do not understand why we have these, but my wife loves them, so they serve a purpose of happiness and Geese make great alarms and taste good.

Our cow is too young to breed yet and we are sticking with a heritage/special breed (Scottish highland) but so far we love her, she eats the grass but also browses like the goats and fits right in on our little farm.
rabbits are great and butcher easy.

With a milk animal either goat or cow-you can feed many smaller animals like pigs and chickens and rabbits etc. to a decent butcher weight. the poop helps the garden grow and keeps pesky neighbors at bay.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
Pigs and cattle are great if you have plenty of land for them and grass and food stuff for them to eat.
For smaller conditions and less land and not as much good grass you have three meats and one unsuspecting protein to fit the bill.

As mentioned above, Rabbits, Goats, Chickens and Mushrooms. All can be raised on little or no feed supplement and huge beneficial nutritional value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom