Long AR Barrel questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you, I figured I would get some great info eventually!

I will read the article (part of it at least...)
I’ve been doing some more thinking on it. Can’t find that article, the internet seems to be covered up in “pistol vs rifle” and “atf rules” anytime you look for anything regarding ARs and barrel lengths.

But I was thinking, when your barrel gets longer, harmonics become even more of an issue. This is countered by heavier and heavier contour barrels. The more barrel “whip” they harder it is to match up your harmonic nodes with the projectile leaving the muzzle, thus affecting repeatability/consistency. Also, the longer the barrel, the more opportunities there are for the barrel to not be “perfect”. The only way I know how to describe this is through my buddies experience in aerospace CNC. When building bigger planes, there’s much tighter tolerances. Even when machining parts to tens of thousandths, let’s say a Boeing 747 can be as much as a few feet longer than the next. With a smaller airplane such as a piper cub, this difference is much less noticeable, even with the lesser tolerances, thus having less effect on its performance. That’s at least the situation he described to me. I don’t know if that is accurate or not.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, I’ve worked on the same 148 foot wide 707 for 32 years but have yet to actually measure it, lol.

I will do some reading and I appreciate all the info that is shared, I don’t know if I will ever actually build another AR but it’s always fun to dream.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get excellent accuracy out of an 18 inch AR with 77 grain ammo, Ammo type and twist rate matter a little more that barrel length from my research. Barrel length does increase velocity
Good post. Shorter barrels are often (never say always and never say never) the most accurate. Proper twist for the bullet, chamber, and good ammo are very important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom