Long term storage and vacuum packing supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm Shadow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mylarpro has specials on bags and absorbers, with a chart for recommended cc size of absorbers per container.
I buy 40 gallon bags with 300cc absorbers for $24.99.
I fill the bag leaving a little at the top. I use an iron to seal all across the top and leave a little opening.
This step might not be necessary but I do as an extra precaution. I have a Dirt Devil small vacuum with a nozzle. I don't use it for cleaning because I want to keep it free from microbes. It is only for food storage.
I slip the nozzle in the remaining opening and suck out the remaining air. Then I quickly iron the opening to close it. Yes some air is still in there, but the absorbers will take care of that. Now depending on the food, it could last you up to 30 years.
The first time I did it, it was a cumbersome process. But like anything you learn a better way and now it's like a small assembly line.
Mylarpro also has a video of the steps I just described.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW - great info. Was just having as discussion with wife this morning. She has been canning ALOT. Just started dehydrating and was asking about storage, the benefits of mylar vs. vacuum. Dehydrated green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, celery, and MARSHMALLOWS. Most has been stored in ziplock bags, will have to check into mylar and vacuum sealers. I bought a small, handheld sealer a few years back, from Harbor Freight. It uses 2 AA batteries and cost $1.99. Works very well with a little practice.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My suggestion is to pay the extra money and get the DZ-280/2SE unit, it is about $30 more than the /2SD model, but it will handle liquid and powders without causing you problems with the vacuum pumps and it pulls a heavier vacuum. If you are doing any dry spices you suck a little into the system and have to clean it out, with the 2SE unit I suspect if you put some water in the canister it will catch any spices or powder pulled into the vacuum system. You can clean out any powder from the 2SD model, but it is a pain in the butt.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Food Saver Brand. Interesting to note that in the past, we put up the fish we caught in a zip lock bag with water to keep it from being freezer burnt. I've since found that putting the fillets on a cookie sheet, freezing them, and finally doing the vacume pack will make the fillets much more firm after cooking than freezing in water. Don't know why, but its a marked result., and it takes up less room in the freezer.

Fresh meat needs to be partially frozen before packing. If not some moisture will come out of the meat and ruin the seal.

I have bags of packed ammo. It will remain shiney after a couple of years. I keep one bag from years ago as a test sample.
The vacume process removes almost all of moisture in the air. Clothes, etc that are vacume packed take up 1/2 the room in a back pack, using them only when necessary. The list goes on.

Just saw this post - I got a FoodSaver for Christmas - sealed up some hog and deer, and even tamales.
I wondered about fish, I've always put filets in freezer bags with water. How long will fish last in vacuum bags w/o water?
(catfish filets) Any freezer burn?

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From past experience a frozen layer of water around a piece of fish, that is not vacuum packed, is a buffer against the frost free cycle in a frost free freezer. It provides insulation around the fish against the warm air being blown though the freezer to remove frost crystals that form on packages after the door is shut. After something has removed on a warm day and the moist warm air that entered the freezer is cooled, it drops its moisture as frost on the frozen items inside. If you get a manual on the typical frost free freezer and read it very closely you will be amazed at how many times a day the freezer blows warm air through itself for a defrost cycle and for how long.

Fish should be frozen dry then placed in water that is at freezing temp or it soaks the flesh with moisture and then freezes making for a soggy piece of fish when you thaw it. I am told the fish frozen dry and then vacuum packed keeps its flavor and meat texture better than fish frozen in water. I use large plastic containers with lids to hold my frozen items, I feel like it gives extra protection against freezer burn and I can take it out of the freezer put it on the counter and look through it to find what I want.

FYI the wife and I have gone on a diet and I took a large package, several pounds, of frozen fruit from Sams and divided it into 70 calorie size portions and vacuum packed them and put in the freezer for short snacks. I finally found a use for that blasted Weight Watcher scale that has sat on top of the fridge for 4 years. I also repacked a number of packages of shrimp from Aldies and several other quick cook foods into smaller portions for our meals. The bath scale does not say I lost much, but my pants button easier. :o

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to remove O2 from anything, dry ice in an appropriate size container with water the CO2 will fill the space, I also use a water bottle w/ a straw and you can control the gas better. The gas that comes off is heavier than air and will displace all O2. Anybody have good ideas for homemade faraday bag/ cage?

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I found out something today. If you vacuum pak something sweet make sure and put some warm water thru the unit to clean the pumps. Two hours to disassemble, clean and put back together. I am very irritated with myself. I now for sure recommend the DZ-280/2E unit with the small jar that sits behind the vacuum unit, the jar will catch STUFF that gets sucked in and will be much easier to clean.

By the way if you have a digital camera take photos before you start taking things apart, some of the hoses are in a strange arrangement as are other items in the unit. An make sure you unplug it. I never claimed to be smart, just good looking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom