Long term storage of .22 ammo.........what's your method?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having handled thousands of ammo cans I can tell you this.
Seal up a 50 cal can on a hot humid August day then open it on a cold January day and it will have drops of water in it. Desiccant is your friend.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep I've stored .22 ammo all sorts of ways and never had a problem with it. I will tell you that most of mine is just stored in original container in a safe except for a couple boxes of 550 rds. Of Rem. Golden bullet and 550 rd boxes of Federal. I put then in a metal 50 cal ammo box and stored them in a storm cellar for about 3 years in just the cardboard they came in. When I got them out to check on them they all had a white powdery substance on the bullet heads. They still shoot fine but I believe it was due to humidity changes and or temperature changes.
I have a number 10 canner and have thought of long term storage for kids and grandkids. Maybe store ammo in a #10 can with O2 absorber and some desiccant and seal can for kids to use at future date in time. Maybe vacuum seal
Ammo and put in #10 can with desiccant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom