• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Looking for a compact tractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the Kubota's a hard look. Most models are trouble free. JD has moved to the master dealer program the last few years; they aren't what they were 10 years ago. Mahindra has a history of poor parts availability on older models.

Definately buy a Diesel. The older gasoline models are just not as powerful and are more trouble. There is a reason the major makers don't build gasoline tractors anymore.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older Ford 1600 (1980’s model…I’d have to do some research for exact year). It’s a two wheel drive with a manual transmission. No front end loader. The tractor shows its age, but it has been properly maintained for the last 30 to 40 years. The tractor is my dad’s, but he is getting to old to get onto it safely. He told me that he’s ready to sell it. The tractor has primarily been used for blading gravel drives and some brush hogging. It starts right up, and it’s still a strong running little tractor. We would sell it for $3200 with an older but functioning brush hog. $3600 with a box blade and the brush hog. If you’re interested, I can post some pics.
My dad likewise had a Ford 1600. An early Ford Diesel made in Japan; good little tractor. Very low tech and tough as nails. It would do a 4' brush hog.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have an older Ford 1600 (1980’s model…I’d have to do some research for exact year). It’s a two wheel drive with a manual transmission. No front end loader. The tractor shows its age, but it has been properly maintained for the last 30 to 40 years. The tractor is my dad’s, but he is getting to old to get onto it safely. He told me that he’s ready to sell it. The tractor has primarily been used for blading gravel drives and some brush hogging. It starts right up, and it’s still a strong running little tractor. We would sell it for $3200 with an older but functioning brush hog. $3600 with a box blade and the brush hog. If you’re interested, I can post some pics.
A loader is the primary reason I need the tractor. Is it possible to add a loader to your Ford? As I said, I don’t know much about them.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A John Deere 1025R is an amazingly capable tractor for a sub-compact, 25HP tractor. Go to YouTube and watch any number of vides from "Tractor Time With Tim" or "Good Works Tractors". I've seen Tim do some amazing things with one of these small tractors.

There are several low-hour used ones for sale around OK priced between $10k and $20k depending on age and included implements. Check out tractorhouse.com and search "1025r".

I had a JD 2038R tractor/loader/backhoe but sold it when I left Idaho. I really regret that. What a great machine that was.

I'll be in the market for a little bit bigger machine soon, too. I'll be looking at the 40 - 45 horsepower range.
The 1025 is the model I really want. I just can’t justify the cost of a new one, even with zero percent financing.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
get one that is bigger than you think you will need. Kubota are good and don't sell yourself on a hydrostat before you look the gear drive tractors a close look. stay away from regen and deff technology and plan on getting rear ballast if you get a loader. even an old ford 801 or 2000 can be a good tractor and a front loader can be added to any

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s possible but probably not worth it. If a front end loader is a must, I’d find one that meets your needs. It wouldn’t be cheap to add one.
They used to be not terribly expensive, but availability has become an issue. I was looking a few years ago and could find plenty, but lately it's like they all evaporated, and I've heard the same from someone who's looking for a lift for a Ford 1900.

If a lift is make-or-break, it looks like you're better off buying a tractor with one right now.

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A loader is the primary reason I need the tractor. Is it possible to add a loader to your Ford? As I said, I don’t know much about them.
You can but it will be so very much cheaper in the long run to wait and buy one with a loader! These older Fords are harder to find loaders and then the necessary parts to install budget wise! You'll save time and a couple thousand $$$.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kubota are good and don't sell yourself on a hydrostat before you look the gear drive tractors a close look.
Personally, I prefer the positive engagement of a plain ol' clutch and gearbox, but I know some guys who swear by hydrostatics. They are convenient if you're doing a lot of forward and backward motion, especially if you're working at the top of a hill or ravine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom