Looking for opinions/advice....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, this may get a little long, so stay with me....

We had a thread a couple weeks back that was about Craigslist, and I touched on this in it but didn't ask anything...

Quick and to the point, I buy, sell, and trade sport 4 wheelers and dirtbikes as a little side hobby, kind of like some guys do on here with guns. It gives me chances to always have something new to ride and play with...I wasted 3 hours on a guy tonight is where this all stems from...

When it comes to selling these things, its getting harder and harder it seems. I know the economy isnt the best right now, and we're towards the end of riding season. Those things aside, I deal with more tire kickers, day dreamers, and window shoppers than I can believe. In 4 weeks since listing a 4 wheeler on Craigslist, it's already the cheapest on there, I'd bet I've had over 30 calls or texts about it....It's still here...

Now for the opinion/advice part. In a previous ad about 8 months ago, I basically vented in the ad that I didnt want to trade for someone's 12 year old 4 wheeler, their 20 year old car, or some other crap that they want top dollar for, but want to beat me up on mine. (Mind you, I understand that's somewhat the nature of the game.) There was something about it already being the cheapest around too. I went on to put more stuff about if they weren't serious not to bother wasting my time, and not to bother me unless they had cash in hand.....Believe it or not, I remember that certain one selling fast...

Whats your thought on an ad that said stuff like that? I'm really considering adding something like it to my ads. Obviously I think it probably comes off as rude, but does it get the point across? Would you be less likely to buy something from an ad like that? Or, if you think I sound rude, is it because you are one of those people I am complaining about? Is there a certain way to convey this without sounding rude?

Last question, if you are looking to buy a 4 wheeler, do you feel better buying it from just some random guy, or from someone that deals in them constantly? I think it turns people off if they know that I am dealing in them, even though I'll bring them all up on any maintenance or fix any problems. I think people automatically think I'm trying to take advantage of them...

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just dont say in the ad what you do. I tried for several weeks to sell a bike on Craigslist early in the year, March I think. I had a very long, detailed ad that told about everything I could think of about the bike. I even discussed shipping costs and got only texts or phone calls. It was already the cheapest listed except for one in Muskogee, so I dropped the price by 50 bucks, deleted all the text and had a short one liner. It sold in a week and the first guy that came to look at it paid my asking price in cash and rode it home. I have no idea what is better, short and to the point worked for me.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it really matters, the ones that are serious will look past the warnings and anyone that has posted anything on Graigslist will understand why you are saying what you are. I think it's just a matter of the right Guy or Gal seeing the add and wanting what you are selling. Over the last month I have bought a van, sold a PU and tiller and am trying to get up with a guy to buy another PU all on Graigslist. You learn fast who is serious and who is trying to con you. List your phone number, most email responses I received were cons of some sort.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont ever tell people up front what I do with them. I've tried using very vague ads too. I may switch back to that. I feel like maybe I should just play dumb when people call and come to look at one.

The guy actually commented last night that the reason he had originally called me was because my pictures were nice, big, and detailed. Then he proceeded to tell me that it looked better in the pics. I hadn't changed anything.

I always list my phone number, and dont usually get a ton of emails. When I do, its really easy to see the scams. It just seems crazy to me to have 30 people who are interested enough to call or text, but not serious enough to even come look at it...Maybe I'm a lot different than most people, but I'm not going to waste my own time to call on something that I have no intent of actually going to look at or buy. If I take the time to call on something, I'm probably coming to look at it.

I think I need a new approach...

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone wants a deal. Mark your stuff up a little and add obo. Then when people call, give them a story about how your down on your luck, desperate and willing to sacrifice it for whatever number you actually wanted in the first place.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the best luck on CL with short and to the point descriptions with lots of good pictures.

Dealing with tire kickers is the nature of the game...

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think announcing the fact that you deal with them constantly is a double-edged sword.

In one hand, it shows you have experience and probably know what you're doing. Some people will appreciate this.

In the other hand, it might give people the idea that you just tape and glue sh*t parts on a bike to turn around and sell it, much like a scumbag house-flipper who buys a $20,000 house, paints the wallpaper and installs some modern bathroom sink faucets and tries to sell the house for 5x that amount. Some people will steer clear of you because of this.

Blah blah blah, you can't satisfy everyone all the time or whatever it is they say.

Last edited:

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dealing with tire kickers and dreamers is a part of the game. Sometimes you get lucky and things come together quickly.

I've got a few things on CL right now and most of what I get in reply is from scammers...

Don't get me started on job hunting with CL...

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm okay with someone mentioning no tire-kickers, cash only, no trades, no scams, etc. But when the rant about their preferred selling process is longer and more detailed than the item they're selling, I just figure this is some ******* I don't care to deal with. I've never went to look at something off craigslist without cash in hand and a plan to bring it home if I like it. I don't go to "shop" and see if it's something I want when I can afford it. But I've walked away from a few deals. Usually it's because the condition is not close to how it was described, sometime during my drive over the title was lost and they promise to mail it, the serial numbers have been removed and it's an obvious color change repaint (trailers), etc.

I've also sold plenty of stuff on craigslist. And all I can tell you is you're just going to run into "those" people. I'll be totally honest with you Joe... the biggest problem I can see with you selling an item for maybe a couple of thousand dollars is if you're meeting them at your house. I'd be pretty aggressive with a buying offer in a neighborhood like yours too especially if your garage doors are open and I see Corvettes and Harleys lined up everywhere. The more money someone has, the more likely they'll let that last few hundred go just so they don't have to deal with a series of poor bums like myself showing up to their estate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom