M1 Garand question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to admit this, I do not have an M1 Garand in my collection.

I have been looking at prices online and at gunshows for some time now. I see, what at least to my novice eye, looks like CMP grade Garands selling for 1000, when I can buy them at the CMP for $625 plus S&H. What am I missing?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're missing out on the greed and avarice of sellers who take advantage of buyers ignorant of or uncaring about the CMP offerings.

The CMP is the best deal around for most M1's, though you do have to satisfy their requirements to become a member before you can buy from them.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CMP is the only way I would buy one....these are graded and given a certificate of authenticity by CMP so you know exactly what you are getting. I see M1's being sold all the time with super inflated prices for less quality than the ones you get straight from CMP.....definitely the best deal going. Get em now before they are all sold out.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough guys. I meet all the requirements for the CMP, just really didn't want to wait up to 180 days!

Thanks for the help.

Then go to a gunshow and pay the $400 "convenience fee" like everybody else that doesn't want to wait.

180 days is nothing. it used to take a year or more.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough guys. I meet all the requirements for the CMP, just really didn't want to wait up to 180 days!

Thanks for the help.

There it is. Some folks are willing to pay and extra $$ to satisfy the need for instant gratification...worth is all relative right?

To me, waiting six months, saving a few hundred bucks, and getting a certified CMP garand right out of the government arsenal is worth it but for someone with cash, $400 might not be a big deal I guess.

Last edited:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

CMP Special in .308 - 68 days order to receipt (last week).
Same in .30-06 - 140 days and counting.

Turnaround depends a lot on what you order, any options you ask for, how many similar orders are in queue ahead of you, and what's available at the moment. Would suggest joining the CMP Forums if you're not there already.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CMP Special in .308 - 68 days order to receipt (last week).
Same in .30-06 - 140 days and counting.

Turnaround depends a lot on what you order, any options you ask for, how many similar orders are in queue ahead of you, and what's available at the moment. Would suggest joining the CMP Forums if you're not there already.

If you're referring to the stickies that people sometimes attach to their orders, that has little to no bearing at all on the time involved in filling out an order. As has been described on the CMP forums, the person filling out the order might take into consideration the request on the sticky (such as, "USGI wood" or "WW2-dated receiver"), but if there are no rifles immediately available that meet the request, the employee will not spend any time looking for a suitable rifle. They just pick from the next few available rifles, so any more the fulfillment of a stickied request is coincidental.

Latest posts

Top Bottom