Man interferes with military's efforts to put out fires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That being said, this sounds like a complete overreaction by the pilot and calls into question the use of military hardware and personnel to fill this type of role. Would a low flying news chopper pilot have mistaken an Ugly Stick for a weapon?

This type of activity is exactly what the National Guard is around for. It doesn't call anything into question except for the water rights issue.

Ever hover a blackhawk over a pond with a 5,000 pound pendulum swinging underneath? I'm sure the pilot had a lot to focus on...and I'm sure dropping his sling load was on the top of the rehearsed/required actions when faced with a perceived threat.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This type of activity is exactly what the National Guard is around for. It doesn't call anything into question except for the water rights issue.

Ever hover a blackhawk over a pond with a 5,000 pound pendulum swinging underneath? I'm sure the pilot had a lot to focus on...and I'm sure dropping his sling load was on the top of the rehearsed/required actions when faced with a perceived threat.

There it is. I don't fault the aircrew at all. I am sure the rotor wash debris cloud made it difficult to see what the guy was doing and the CC probably just saw some idiot on the ground. However, I am pretty sure acting like an idiot not is against the law. If it were, there would be way more people locked up.

It looked like a large pond, and those buckets may hold around 500 gallons. I don't think the ARNG was going to empty the pond before the guy could use a phone.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember. One day the local Government may need your guns in an emergency.

Daang, Ill have to explain ..Again..how the 'copter that was scooping water , and ...somehow? my boat got caught up in it....Thats where I ..kept.. All my guns and ammo.
The fires are a really bad situation. I fought forest fires in Cali for a couple years, they are unpredictable, and destroy Everything in there path.
They are having a really hard time here at the Wildlife Refuge, many lost houses...everything.
I think the "guy" might have been waving his arms ..Thanking them for theyre ..service.
(Could Be...?.)

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors parents have land near the guy in question. From what he told me was that he was at his parents and tge guy did have a gun and did point it at the chopper. He said the guy is a nut job and they have always has issues with him.

I dont care how bad off you and your cattle are. If you point a firearm at a US helicopter full of sercice men then i hope they throw the book at you. There is no excuse. My two cents

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors parents have land near the guy in question. From what he told me was that he was at his parents and tge guy did have a gun and did point it at the chopper. He said the guy is a nut job and they have always has issues with him.

I dont care how bad off you and your cattle are. If you point a firearm at a US helicopter full of sercice men then i hope they throw the book at you. There is no excuse. My two cents

If this clown did have a gun I think he should be strung up. If he is the local Nutcase that may not happen, but, if he is, WTF was he doing with a gun?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daang, Ill have to explain ..Again..how the 'copter that was scooping water , and ...somehow? my boat got caught up in it....Thats where I ..kept.. All my guns and ammo.
The fires are a really bad situation. I fought forest fires in Cali for a couple years, they are unpredictable, and destroy Everything in there path.
They are having a really hard time here at the Wildlife Refuge, many lost houses...everything.
I think the "guy" might have been waving his arms ..Thanking them for theyre ..service.
(Could Be...?.)

Boats and guns don't mix. lol. Too bad we must all learn the hard way. I guess, if the Gov needs my gun in a emergency, I will let them use them. After the 7 day waiting period and extra time needed for me to check them out.lol

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I tend to lean this way also.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The military, whether federal or state guard, should have two jobs: kill people and break things. When not doing that, they should be training for it. I don't think they should be used in humanitarian roles. I'm not saying the pilot did the wrong thing, and maybe the guy had a gun. What I am saying is that neither party should have been put in the situation in the first place.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The military, whether federal or state guard, should have two jobs: kill people and break things. When not doing that, they should be training for it. I don't think they should be used in humanitarian roles. I'm not saying the pilot did the wrong thing, and maybe the guy had a gun. What I am saying is that neither party should have been put in the situation in the first place.

And how much more are you willing to pay in taxes to fund a seperate civilian fleet of choppers and equipment to keep on hand for such emergencies?

Sling load operations are a big part of CH-47 and Blackhawk military missions overseas. I'm thinking the National Guard got some great training this week...and helped out their community at the same time. It's called "multi-use" and we get more bang for the buck that way....

ch-47 mech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And how much more are you willing to pay in taxes to fund a seperate civilian fleet of choppers and equipment to keep on hand for such emergencies?
Personally im willing to pay zero for this as its the role of the national guard already.

Sling load operations are a big part of CH-47 and Blackhawk military missions overseas. I'm thinking the National Guard got some great training this week...and helped out their community at the same time. It's called "multi-use" and we get more bang for the buck that way....
This is another statement i can agree with since these folks could be deploying again in the future its good for them to get all the stick time they can while not getting shot at. Once they are gone and we have fires like this again everyone will be wishing they were here to help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom