Mandatory Drone Registration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess the deadline is looming for this. I've had my drone for about 3 years now. Use it at the river on my boat, at family functions, and sometimes play with it at work. Never taken it to a public place (other than my marina) and I've never intruded on another persons privacy. I understand there can be fines if I don't register it, but it's MY F'ing property and I don't feel like the government has any business even knowing about it unless I CHOOSE TO TELL THEM.

Discuss....

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think any government agency should have a role in managing/tracking these things. I also don't think they should be involved when I choose to shoot one down when it's over my property (assuming that I'm following existing firearm discharge laws).

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to tell them about it if you don't use it LOL.

The regulation/safety of public airways is one of few inherent government functions that I support. Thanks to knuckleheads with less scruples than you, these drones now pose a risk to the safety of the rest of the flying public.

Edit: As of August of last year, there have been almost 800 pilot/ATC reported UAS sightings/incidents in the vicinity of manned aircraft. Even the smallest drone could cause major problems for a passenger jet on final approach.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=83544

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about this from a practical perspective -- how is anybody realistically ever going to realize that you have not kissed the proper bureaucrat's ass and obtained the proper paperwork, and issue you a fine? Have you ever seen FAA investigators going door to door checking drone registrations?

I think the proper American response to this sort of thing is to say "kiss my ass Tory, come and take it."

I don't know though, the way things are going, the FAA probably has their own SWAT team now, lol.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I should be on that SWAT team LOL. No thanks.

It's more of a liability/CYA thing. When one of these UASs causes a major incident and a loss of life, they want to be able to track the owner down through the registration.

If you fly your unregistered drone in the middle of nowhere, away from an airport and don't shadow manned aircraft with it, nobody will know or care.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will not register with the FAA. This is only a power and money grab by another of the Governments alphabet agencies.
I do not fly Multirotor craft nor do I fly FPV. I do fly RC Helicopters and Airplanes within line of sight and well under any 400 ft. ceiling.
At this time there is two lawsuits against the FAA and it's Rule.
There is also a US House Bill pending that will kill this rule.
Section 336 of the FRMA Act of 2012 prohibits the FAA from making any Rules against Model Aviation.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's unbelievable to me is the willingness of such a large number of people that actually TRY to interfere, at the very least, in the operation of manned aircraft. The laser pointer incidents on aircraft have become almost an epidemic.

U.S.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ecord-pace-another-flurry-overnight/75649430/

Great Britain:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-pointers-to-be-classed-as-offensive-weapons

Mexican attack on the Pope's plane (just happened):
https://www.rt.com/news/332908-laser-pope-plane-targeted/

Latest posts

Top Bottom