Marines order Colt .45s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
45ACP can be only properly fired from 1911 - here is the scientific proof!

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b376_Nickpisp_1911_1.gif

Let me see you do that with your "double stack"!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is indeed just my opinion - but it's not a hard stretch to compare EVERYBODY using 9x19(18) vs few units in using 45ACP.

M9 is horrid - but 15 little friends is simply better than 8, despite the upside-down safety.

The only reason for wanting 1911 is to look cool and score "major" ....

Ok, I'll play - enlighten me about all the things that didn't happen in the last 101 years ....

Well for starters the first comment I put in bold was because it was a really stupid thing to say. It is like someone saying the only reason to use a double stack 9 is because you can only handle a firearm in a girly caliber, and you need so many rounds because you can not shoot well. Neither is a true statement for most people.

As I have mentioned already the Marines went with the 1911 because they already have everything needed for them and it is what the troops wanted. The 1911s will be used for the expanded MARSOC, not the run of the mill troops. You know, special forces types.

You do know why our military switched to the 9mm don't you? It was because of ammo commonality with our NATO partners and because the 9mm is easier to shoot for the less then gun enthusiast recruits they are getting nowadays.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am in no way a 1911 snob. I grew up in a household that only had single action revolvers and still can not get used to the weaver stance. :D

I will shoot just about anything I can lay my hands on and if things went in the toilet I would not feel under armed with any decent quality weapon be it a 357mag, 9mm, or 45acp. I just feel the Marines should be allowed to use what they want and can easily support without a bunch of armchair commandos second guessing them.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only reason for wanting 1911 is to look cool and score "major" ....

Meh, that's just something the uniformed say. There's a reason 1911s (and glocks) dominate competition, the platform works, and works well. Not to mention that whole being used in harms way for a significant portion of a century.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They picked it. It doesn't end the 1911 vs. everything else debate.....all it means that a small arms program management office picked it. Anyone with any experience in the smalls arms program management of our uniformed services will tell you that those choices don't always represent the wants/needs of the guys who will end up using the chosen platform. Sometimes the guys writing the specs and the guys making the choices are like a pig staring at a wristwatch.

God bless the 1911 and it's lengthy service for our country, heritage played a role in this choice and that's ok. I hope MARSOC kills lots of smelly bearded mouth breathers with 'em...but it isn't the answer, it is only an answer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom