Medicare with Open Eyes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give a listen to this doc. He is an advocate for just having Medicare A and B....Original Medicare without purchasing any supplemental coverage (Plan G, N etc and Part D).

He argues that having only Part A and B is excellent coverage and everything else we hear online is smoke and mirrors designed to convince us to buy the very expensive supplemental plans. I'm trying to shoot holes in his points but not having any success. He seems correct.

It appears we are being snookered with a one-two punch: All the nice friendly independent medicare brokers warning us about Medicare Advantage are right but then they steer us toward the Supplemental Plans, which we almost always do not need.
As a bonus, he trashes AARP.

Check out the links to the 6 or so additional videos and his website at the top of the comment section

Last edited:

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only way to go besides A and B is to get Part D for prescriptions.

A = inpatient
B = home health and outpatient
D = medication

Don’t fall for the rest and stay away from the advantage plans.

I will add a chart in my next post for A/B.

My wife is on the post acute care team for OU, she is tasked with keeping people out of the hospital and her job is incredibly hard when patients have those supplements.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
F3179977-E626-4711-886F-F009CFEBDD39.jpeg

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She said the supplements are really only beneficial to those folks who are considered fairly healthy with no acute or chronic diagnosis.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is his position on Part D = not a good deal for the great majority of people....Listen and decide based on what he says.....provocative stuff.
He argues that there is almost no downside to waiting to get it.......if you end up needing it, the penalty for applying late is trivial

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our advantage plan covers dental, vision, home health, gym membership, etc, etc and we do not pay any extra for it. It also lowers our copays. We fogured it up and for us, it is a great money saving plan.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our advantage plan covers dental, vision, home health, gym membership, etc, etc and we do not pay any extra for it. It also lowers our copays. We fogured it up and for us, it is a great money saving plan.
So what is the total amount you paid for medical in 2021 (Leave off the last 18 days

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy is being quite a bit disingenuous.

-60 days TOTAL......big difference.

- Of course the supplemental does not cover what medicare won't...... it's secondary not primary. Hence the name supplemental.

- Nobody covers LTC except LTC plans, and those are ridiculously expensive, unless you were fortunate to buy one 20 years ago.

- In his example he's citing PRIVATE INSURANCE coverage as part of the bill. Why would there be private insurance coverage on someone with Medicare? An employee plan + Medicare? Again, VERY disingenuous to the point it's almost lying.

-$200-400 is not the average in Oklahoma, more like half that amount.

She said the supplements are really only beneficial to those folks who are considered fairly healthy with no acute or chronic diagnosis.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The opposite is true though. If you are fairly healthy or expect to stay that way, you would not need supplemental insurance.

I used to be one of those individuals that brokered those plans but haven't done so in quite some time. I can give you examples for days on people that got really sick and walked out with $0 charges. Again though, It's just like anything else in health insurance. If you're healthy and expect to remain so, then you should self insure. If you believe you might have issues or you have underlying or chronic issues, you will get nickel and dimed to death on that 20%.

I DO however think AARP is garbage and I have seen people wait on part D and it worked out for them. I've also seen it bite them in the arse too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom