Members who just want arms list, should I be bothered? Classifieds gripe…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I could have worded that better. If I have something for 600 and someone goes 575 and I say yes, I consider that locked in even if someone comes later and says "I'll give you the full 600". I'll grump to myself a bit, but if I told the first person "deal" then I honor that deal.
I'm the same way. However, for cars or larger items, if someone comes through and offers a lot more after I've made a deal I'll ask the lower bidder if he would like to keep the deal or take half of the difference in cash.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, gun sales on FB are still VERY much alive. You just have to know where to look. But buying from some of those guys, that’s a whole different story.
lol, yeah good luck with FB, I joined 3 of those groups. Couldn't buy or sell a thing. It's a total hassle, you can't post ANY info at all just pics. Then everyone gets all their wires crossed trying to figure out who messages who. Royal pain in the ass. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry messages you for info then no one replies. Half the people can't even figure out the concept. Of course you get the requisite low ballers, guys wanting to trade grandpa's single shot shotgun for your Colt, and the usual ghosting when a deal is finally struck. Before they ruined Armslist it was a great site, bought and sold a lot there over the years. I wrote them and said I'd be glad to pay a reasonable fee to list or sell a gun but every company is now on the "subscription" model. I'm not gonna pay a monthly fee for eternity to sell or buy a couple guns a year. Naturally they've never replied to any of my emails. Oh and your credit card company won't let you quit, the company has to agree to let you out. Remember 25 years ago trying to quit AOL? I had to tell them I sold my computer before they let me go. Judging from the number of sellers and listings Armslist has lost (it looks like about 75 to 80 percent) they cut their own throat.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same way. However, for cars or larger items, if someone comes through and offers a lot more after I've made a deal I'll ask the lower bidder if he would like to keep the deal or take half of the difference in cash.
Never thought of that, good idea. If anyone makes me an offer and I accept then to me we have a deal, but half the time they just ghost you after the deal is struck. I was raised a deal is a deal but those days are gone.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So recently I’ve had couple mildly irritating things happen in the classifieds. First being a cheap .38 I saw right after it posted, pm’ed, guy responded and I told him I’d buy it. We were communicating about a meet up. He even told me he ran home on break to grab the pistol and he’d have it ready for us to meet etc… so at this point, I’m planning my afternoon around it. Then the guy just ghosts me. Wouldn’t respond to any of my text, wouldn’t respond to my PMs, after a while he marked it as sold… never said a word to me

So then the other day I buy a different revolver from a new-ish member. The communication was a bit spotty but we got a deal and a meet up arranged. The gun came with 6 boxes of defensive ammo. During our meet up, he seemed like a fine fellow, I told him about feedback, told him I would leave him some feedback and asked if he would leave some for me also. He never did… then when I got home and began inspecting the ammo, I’m suspicious that a lot of it is actually reloads. He said he bought the gun and ammo from an elderly neighbor a few years ago. So I pm’ed him politely reminding about the feedback, and I asked him about the ammo if it was possible it was reloads if he knew anything about it. Zero response…

Last summer I bought a boat from a member. I asked him about the feedback in person as well and his response was pretty much “I don’t give a chit about anything on OSA” …. Hmmmm.. I’d say well over half of the deals I’ve done on here I never received feedback. I leave feedback each time. It takes 1 minute.

I guess I just wanted to gripe because I’m starting to get annoyed with these people on here who think this is just Armslist. The people who never post anything or get involved in any discussion. Only classifieds. And they seem to think it’s perfectly acceptable just to ghost people on here.

I’m not easily offended. Even if you sell something out from under me because somebody closer offered a little more or whatever I don’t care. Even if you withheld information about ammo being reloads, i’m not even mad about it, I just want to know what I’m dealing with. Just have the decency to let me know what the hell is going on! I guess communication just isn’t important to lots of people

Gripe over…
Think I have feedback on maybe 1/3 of my deals. I give it near 100% of the time. I can only control my 1/2.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people don't want feedback. I try to remember to ask if they want it or not, one guy brought it up first saying please don't leave me feedback. That's not real common, but the person you're leaving feedback for may prefer that you didn't.

For me personally, I have enough feedback and if you leave it for me that's nice, but if you don't it's not a big deal. We can still be friends.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see that --- I would just think that for full disclosure I'd include that as a note to the first person. Like "I'll accept this, but on the condition that if someone else comes along at my ask before money changes hands with you then they get preference".

If I sell something on Facebook, I put a note that I won't hold an item --- first person to get to me with money wins the race, and that will trump any offer you've made me if that number is my ask.

Latest posts

Top Bottom