Merwin Hulbert & Co.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, you gotta have something. Me, I love me some 1911's. I really want to see one of these Merwins though, I really need to make it down and have lunch with ya one day.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pictures sent to me by the owner of the new Merwin & Hulbert Co. of their progress on the machining of their new pistols.

Below is exactly what he wrote me, and several other distributors.

If you care, and some folks seem fixated with seeing pictures of parts on the Merwins, I've attached a photo comparing the new frames (1878 Pocket Army) side by side with the original 1878 Pocket Army we developed these from (whose CAD drawings are featured in the catalog and that guided cutting these out of solid 4140 steel. Frame is the most complex part on these, more complex than probably any revolver in the last century so it's been interesting to make. What you see here is the raw steel, before final polishing let alone nickelplating or blueing.

Odd thing is by milling these rather than casting, forging, or metal-injection-molding them we pick up cross-grain strength and they're preheat-treated to the strength of a rifle receiver (because we're used to making rifles which of course handle much higher stresses than handguns.) So it looks like we've accidentally built among the very strongest revolver frames ever made. The internal parts are made of the same preheat-treated 4140 chrome-moly carbon steel as well which is quite a bit better material than most internal parts get, ever, which is also odd when you think about it given the stresses and wear on the internals which after all determine how well the gun works.

The barrels will be oddly strong too and the rifling's more thought out with this method of forming the rifling at the time of the barrel's forming instead of a series of later steps. We're expecting them in late February.

Heck we just want you to have a revolver you can count on and that's consistently fun to shoot, easy to clean, and safe since it is in your favorite hand when you're using it.

ai51.tinypic.com_zk5nyw.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_2gt3qt1.jpg

Cimarron

Marksman
Reaction score
Mark,

Have you actually seen or handled any of the new Merwin Hulberts? I have looked on their website and they are really beautiful revolvers. I was just curious if anyone here in Oklahoma had one yet.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should be getting some from the first runs anyday. They will be single action with the scull crusher butt, with 2 extra barrels each, tru Ivory grips, 2 nickel, 1 blued, all in 45 longcolt. When the run of double action start ,I will be getting the same in double action. I have the catalog in my showroom, if anyone wants to order theirs through me because I am a dealer now. Get ready these are not a low cost gun, they will be great for our cowboy action shooters, and with the short barrel make a great concealed carry weapon. They will be in the class of fine weapons like Colt, the people that most likely will be purchasing these will be people with increadable tasts, that drive only the best, drink only the best, smoke only the best. Thats only just my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom