Might Buy a Yamaha R1 Thats Been Sitting a While

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also plan on flushing the cooling system, fuel system, tank, brakes, and a new battery and 2 tires. Do NOT ride on those tires no matter what they look like. They deteriorate over time. Hopefully it had good coolant in it and all the engine gaskets are still good. What does all that cost at a dealer? Hit them with that in your negotiations.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the advice ill definitely throw that in their face. I also wondered why the hell not just replace the fluids and get it running for an extra 3 grand...pretty suspicious so ill have to be careful. going back up there today hopefully it works out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yamaha transmissions and many others are bad about 2nd gear going out.
Vmax for one .. buddy had his second gear on the 2004 fixed under warranty.. then 2000 miles later warranty was up it went out again.
I got a V65 magna that was 10 years old at the time and had sat for 4 years.
Tank rusted including the reserve tank. carbs gummed up. low speed jets and high speed were plugged.

Yes yours is not carbed.
I took a couple hand fulls of 1/4 20 nuts and some 2 stroke oil and and put this in the fuel tanks and shake shake shake got it (rust) all out.
Then remove nuts.
I paid $450 for that bike and it would spank the V-Max I tweaked it of course.. stock it was 12.0 1/4 mile and i got it to 11.51 in the 1/4.

I busted my second gear when I shifted from first to second while up in a wheelie.

Yes we will tear up a bike.. drive them like we stole them. Of course I drive my cars the same way.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I walked. I wasn't really lookin to buy it when I noticed it up there the first time (was actually at the pawn shop looking for some video games for my kid) and must have overlooked a bunch of stuff. Missing screws everywhere, some F'd up fairings, exhaust bent up on the underside...plus I noticed this broken piece that is pictured and I guess a sensor goes there? also notice the other (sensor?) hole that someone just stuck an overflow tube in. and it didn't have any oil in it for whatever reason...the lady I talked to tried to act like it was running and driving when they took it in and it hadn't been touched since which was obviously a lie. Total bummer but oh well.

whats sad is some poor sucker is going to buy that thing come tax season lol.

i.imgur.com_t3uZGHG.jpg

i.imgur.com_hDVADpZ.jpg

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is what it is, a non running motorcycle. You could easily dump a grand in it just freshening it up and getting it road worthy. I rode sportbikes for years and I wouldn't pay that price unless it was mint. Hell, it's almost 10 years old now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom