Bad experience while gun shopping in Lawton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today me & a few of my buddies helped another friend move his new 700 lb. gun safe into his house in Lawton. We were all comparing notes on who had ammo in stock locally & who was actually charging reasonable prices. We decided to carpool to every place in Lawton that sells guns/ammo & see what we could find. I had just made a decent sale on craigslist, & I had enough to pick up a decent used 1911, so I was very excited.

There aren't many places that actually can be called 'gun shops' in Lawton, so after we hit Ausley's & On Target, we started checking out the pawn shops. I was shocked to find how much prices have gone up, a 9 year old Para Ord (canadian) LDA with substantial finish wear, very light pitting, & a pretty rough barrel was going for $900, & at the same shop a beat to death Kimber Ultra Carry was going for just under $1K, needless to say, I didn't bite. I actually almost bought a really nice Black Ops from a guy that was trying to pawn it, it had a ton of Wilson bullet proof parts on it, great sights, crimson trace grips, & was in mint condition. The shop offered the guy $500, & he was pissed. I offered him $900, but he said he wouldn't take less than $1,200, which is never going to happen locally. Would have loved to bring that home.

Anyway, our last stop was Stan's Pawn, down on Lee. We browsed for awhile, they don't have very many guns, & most of the handguns they have are either pricey or a little rough, but there was a decent looking G22 priced at $425, figured if it was in good shape internally I would pick it up. I asked the guy at the counter if I could take a look at it, said I was interested in purchasing it but wanted to see what kind of wear it had. After clearing dropping the mag, clearing it, & doing a basic functions check I put my hands over the top of the slide & intended to remove the slide to check rail wear and overall condition. The employee yelled & snatched it back. He said I could not look at the internals, & stated that polite folks ask before field stripping a gun. I told him I did, when I informed him I would purchase it if the internals looked as good as the outside & asked if I could look it over. He repeated that I could not look at the internals. When we had first come in, I overheard him telling another customer that recently two Soldiers that had purchased guns had come back saying that the guns they bought were defective or otherwise broken. One of my buddies that observed the guys over reaction said he thought the guy had something to hide, there was no other reason for him to yell & snatch a gun from a customer that stated they wanted to inspect it prior to purchase. Anyway, I made no attempt to appologize as I felt he was in the wrong. I calmly stated that I would not be purchasing a gun that I could not inspect, & that was just not the way business should be conducted. Then I left. None of us spent a dime at the shop, & I doubt any of us will be back.

I have purchased dozens of handguns, from all different types of establishments, ranging from pawn shops to big box stores to gun shows, & I've never heard of not being allowed to check the internals prior to purchase, nor have I ever been yelled at & given a lecture for attempting to thoroughly check out the weapon. I asked my buddies if I was insane, or had I not clearly stated that I wanted to check out the internal wear prior to buying it, they said they clearly heard me, & they were also completely taken aback by the sudden crazy outburst.

Have any of you experienced similar reactions when gun shopping? I am not looking for a bunch of opinions as to what could have happened from people that were not present when this ocurred, rather I am inquiring as to experiences that have happened to you. How did you handle it? If you did have a bad experience, did you ever buy a gun from that business afterwards?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy oh Boy you were very professional on that ordeal.
I have gone around with stores before ..not on guns ..But i go a little ape when you snatch something away from me.
Want to dink them or research the place go to the BBB

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, Stan's sucks and they have earned a permanent spot on my poo list.

Join us for lunch some time & I'll tell ya all about it....

Action Pawn has increased their inventory rather significantly in the past couple of years. Unfortunately, they also increased their prices as well. Significantly.

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one of the associates at H&H give me the same load of crap about not being able to break down a G19 in the consignment display. I did guilt him into breaking it down for me though so I could check it out. Turns out they weren't hiding anything in that case it was brand new still had the gold lube on the slide. Walked out with what was probably a once fired G19 for $425, this was back in Sept. In that case he said they put the rule into place after someone broke down some firearm and shot pieces of it everywhere then walked out the door.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Action Pawn has increased their inventory rather significantly in the past couple of years. Unfortunately, they also increased their prices as well. Significantly.

I didn't want to turn my post into a complete bitchfest about every place in town, but yeah, you are 100% correct about action pawn. They had some INSANELY high prices. Was an instant turn off. Most of my buddies are in my shooting club, one of them isn't, he is one of the types that acts like he knows a lot, but his own words prove otherwise. He pointed out an almost rusty 1903 Colt that looked like someone had dug it out of the bag yard & hit it with a wire brush....had a 1k+ price tag on it I think... Told me he would like to get it and fix it up for target shooting..... he was the only one that didn't turn around and head for the door after about 2 minutes of checking prices...

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's that whole "Military boys have more money than sense" mentality in Lawton... Make the drive to Murf's in Duncan. Always got good prices over there.

I went to Murph's for the first time this past weekend. They are awfully low on stock, but it seems like a very well put together place. I couldn't judge prices as they didn't have anything that I was interested in. They have a clean store, & I really look forward to going back when they have their shelves full.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to Murph's for the first time this past weekend. They are awfully low on stock, but it seems like a very well put together place. I couldn't judge prices as they didn't have anything that I was interested in. They have a clean store, & I really look forward to going back when they have their shelves full.

I doubt the shelves will be full any time soon as they have a LOT of folks on waiting lists for different guns. Murf's got 10 AR's in yesterday and sold them all the same day (they were $1149.00 if I remember correctly).

Latest posts

Top Bottom