Milsurp Thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mosins are fun. Many of us have them. I have one that I bought from Ronny but I haven't taken the time to really study them like I have other surplus rifles. I'd like to know more about the variations, markings, etc.

Sure there are other forums where a guy could find that info but we're a tighter-knit group here and it's more enjoyable.

Post your MN findings!

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just found this thread and i love surplus rifles! I saw the topic of Enfield snipers so i thought i'd jump in and show my pride and joy. I have an original No5 that was a sporterized bring-back with no import marks. I made a new stock out of a no4 stock i had. This rifle is unlike my other No5 in that it shoots 1.25" groups on average with Sierra .311" 125 gr bullets and 42.0 gr IMR 3031. The stock is free float and bedded but i made no permanent mods to the original parts.

View attachment 19482

View attachment 19483

View attachment 19484

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mosins are fun. Many of us have them. I have one that I bought from Ronny but I haven't taken the time to really study them like I have other surplus rifles. I'd like to know more about the variations, markings, etc.

Sure there are other forums where a guy could find that info but we're a tighter-knit group here and it's more enjoyable.

Post your MN findings!

there is many different variations. A good rescource is www.7.62x54r.net. But be careful of the forum over there. I hear they will ban people just for cleaning up a rifle.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is many different variations. A good rescource is www.7.62x54r.net. But be careful of the forum over there. I hear they will ban people just for cleaning up a rifle.

Yep the forum owner over there is very strict. I got my first mosin a couple of years ago and someone had put a scope on it attached to the rear sight. So I posted a picture on there introducing myself and saying I just got this rifle. The forum owner warned me that bubbarizing any mosin and posting them on the forum would not be tolerated. I quit posting over there and just read the post people comment on.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I poked around on surplusrifles a little last night. Some good info over there. Looks like that the MN rifles have a very long, interesting history. I enjoy that type of thing.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surplusrifleforum.com is an excellent source for info. You might also look into picking up "The Mosin Nagant Rifle" by Terence Lapin...there should be plenty of copies of the book on eBay or Amazon. It's a good solid book with plenty of interesting info.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
did someone mention Mosins?
top is a 39 tula round receiver ex-dragoon with finger groove behind the barrel band
second is a 31 hex ex-dragoon
3rd is a 42 tula non-reburb
sporterized 1917 enfield with fajen stock
s&w victory
1900 browning
has it been mentioned that a milsurp section would be really cool?
i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae253_dlbleak_P3080426.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
you built that stock rocketman? nice work!

I just found this thread and i love surplus rifles! I saw the topic of Enfield snipers so i thought i'd jump in and show my pride and joy. I have an original No5 that was a sporterized bring-back with no import marks. I made a new stock out of a no4 stock i had. This rifle is unlike my other No5 in that it shoots 1.25" groups on average with Sierra .311" 125 gr bullets and 42.0 gr IMR 3031. The stock is free float and bedded but i made no permanent mods to the original parts.

View attachment 19482

View attachment 19483

View attachment 19484

Latest posts

Top Bottom