Mississippi Kites are pretty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out doing some yard work this morning and down in the back corner of the yard is a big flowering bush thing. Doing some weed-eating under it and looked up. About 6 feet or so was a Mississippi Kite. It did not dive bomb me, or react in any way. Just sat there watching me work. I started talking to it to let it know I would not bother it if it did not bother me. Kind of cool seeing one that close. Looked just like this one.

mississippi_kite_john_frisch-crp.jpg

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chickens are too big for these smaller type hawks. Eat mostly cicadas. We have about 10 or so nesting. Cool to watch them fly into trees for the bugs or catch them in mid flight with their feet.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do they won't have chickens very long.........Kites are beautiful birds and graceful flying but they are born killers

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always have 1 or 2 sitting in the tops of the cottonwood trees around my place whenever out mowing the tall pasture grass. They know I'll be sending some cicadas or locusts in the air for them to feast on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom