Mitt Romney's views on gun laws / regulations!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lot of good roberts did on the obamacare decision....
Yes, there are no guarantees with anyone. Of course, Roberts may yet turn out to be conservative....we don't know.
But in any case, I would rather have Romney appointed judges and justices, than Obama-appointed. I would rather have Romney and his attorney general running the BATFE and other agencies, than Eric Holder & Obama.
I really do think that our liberties hang in the balance on this one.
Imagine Hilary Clinton or Eric Holder as Supreme Court justices...a very real possibility.
Just my 2 cents.

:)

Rook

Marksman
Reaction score
Scenario 1, Obama wins:
1) Obama pushes re-institution of the assault weapons ban (even though all he's done so far as president is expand gun rights)
2) Most democrats vote for it, some don't
3) All republicans vote against it because republicans vote against everything Obama does due to party loyalty
4) It doesn't pass

Scenario 2, Romney wins:
1) Romney pushes re-institution of the assault weapons ban (Like he did in Mass.)
2) All democrats vote for it
3) Most republicans vote for it because of party loyalty
4) It passes

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
then there are the dems who will begin to distance themselves from unpopular legislation pushed by a lame duck president. they have to watch out for their jobs...

best we can hope for, i think. divided congress, slows down the unnecessary legislation and erosion of our liberties, and a powerless lame duck president. with a republican majority in either house, and a republican pres, the dems will go right along with whatever big government schemes the GOP comes up with. just like last time.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scenario 1, Obama wins:
1) Obama pushes re-institution of the assault weapons ban (even though all he's done so far as president is expand gun rights)
2) Most democrats vote for it, some don't
3) All republicans vote against it because republicans vote against everything Obama does due to party loyalty
4) It doesn't pass

Scenario 2, Romney wins:
1) Romney pushes re-institution of the assault weapons ban (Like he did in Mass.)
2) All democrats vote for it
3) Most republicans vote for it because of party loyalty
4) It passes

True, but it's up to the congress & senate to pass the AWB, and it will not pass under the Congress.
However, here is an area where the President really takes the lead and usually wins:
Appointment of Supreme Court Justices and Federal COurt justices.
This is where we can really get hurt.
For example, check out this article:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/1/gun-carry-in-the-obama-era/

We can also get really hurt with executive orders and BATFE interpretations, that will largely go unreported in a compliant media. For example, caps on reloading purchases, Internet sales, registrations etc etc.
We can also get hurt at the global level, with appointment of Secretary of State and UN ambassador, who will help guide what treaties will be drawn up by the UN (US support is still important there).

I really believe recognition of our RKBA will be severely eroded if Obama is re-elected, if not completely destroyed. With Romney, not much if at all.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So as a "conservative", you'd prefer more "liberal" judges?
I totally disagree that Romney-appointed justices and judges will be more liberal than Obama-appointed ones.
In the past, Romney appointed judges and justices ini MAss that had to pass a very very liberal legislature. Not so the case at the Federal level. Usuallly the POTUS gets away with appointing Justices who lean slightly more Conservative or more liberal than than the Senate, who give POTUS beenfit of the doubt.
My guess is Romney will appoint justices like ROberts & Alito. I'd rather have those than, for example, Eric Holder or Hilary Clinton.
:)

Last edited:

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As this comes down to the wire, I am more and more hoping Obama loses. I don't know that I'll draw my marker across the Romney strip on the ballot, but...the current administration gets worse by the DAY, it seems.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts.... These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

~Guess who?

Latest posts

Top Bottom