Modern AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice rifle! How well does th aac muzzle brake work on the AK?

It works pretty well for keeping the muzzle down. I still think the FSC47 is the best for the AK. However, I can't mount my can on the FSC.

Also, the aac brake might actually perform as well as the FSC47. This is the first AK that I have shot that has a lot lighter front end. The lighter front end causes a little more muzzle flip.

Rook

Marksman
Reaction score
To be honest, if I wasn't running the Ultimak, I would run one of these:

http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php

The AKML to be exact. I've actually considered getting the AKML still, and getting rid of the Ultimak and buying the extended SS rail from Midwest. I like to get my off hand out there as far as I can, I can't with the standard lower handguard. Plus the AKML would center the weight more than having it out front.

The other option I have looked at really hard is this one:

http://www.parabellumarmament.com/pasitev2/akars.htm

Top cover mounts are usually garbage, but this one seems to be a winner.

Ok so if I got the AKML, I'd have to buy a Primary Arms micro dot instead of the Bushnell, because it mounts different as I understand it, correct? Which Primary Arms micro dot would I need to buy? MD-07? MD-06? Does it work with all of them? Google isn't helping me.

Also, Aimsurplus has AKML mounts for $116. Is this a good price?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the Bushnell's base is removable and mounts like the aimpoint T1, you should be good.

You would want the PA micro that has a removable base. So the MD-07 won't work. And $116 is a great price. Plus I'm a fan of aimsurplus anyway.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice gun!

If the Bushnell's base is removable and mounts like the aimpoint T1, you should be good.

You would want the PA micro that has a removable base. So the MD-07 won't work. And $116 is a great price. Plus I'm a fan of aimsurplus anyway.

If you wanted to cowitness would you want the PA micro with the fixed base since it sits lower? Need to know since I'll be ordering one the day they come back in stock.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice gun!

If you wanted to cowitness would you want the PA micro with the fixed base since it sits lower? Need to know since I'll be ordering one the day they come back in stock.

If running the ultimak the fixed base would be slightly better. The PA micro I'm running (removable base) will allow you to barely see the irons through the optic. I don't think either will allow true cowitness. You might be able to get lower 1/3 cowitness if you're lucky. If you're going to run the AKML, then you would have to have the removable base. I'll probably be selling the ultimak and buying the extended MI rail combo.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you like the Vltor stock tube? How do you think it would hold up on a Saiga 12?

I like it a lot. I ran it on a previous AK and it held up well on that one too. It mounts using the same 2 screws that you would use on a standard AK stock. The screws backed out after the first range trip, so I put some blue loctite on the screws and haven't had a problem since. I'm not familiar with the siaga 12's, but if their stocks mount up the same way, you should be good to go.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, Ultimak makes extended railed handguards as well, that work with their scout mounts.

I've considered them as well, since I already have the Ultimak upper rail, but I can't find a weight measurement on the lower rail. Also, they are $$$. I can get the Midwest extended rail with optic specific upper that will co-witness for less than the ultimak lower handguard by itself. And MI at least has a weight listed on their upper/lower rail combo at 12.9 oz. Definitely heavier than my current setup, but not by too much and the ability to extend my offhand for muzzle control is worth it to me. Thanks for the heads up though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom