My first diesel -

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I35 and S 51st. Dump of a station, but pure diesel and they crank through a tone of it. On Cue is blended as are 95% of other stores. I will not buy diesel at Loves unless I am on fumes, it is blended, stinks worse than others and my truck hates it.
I wish places had dual pumps, blended/non blended. They have gas stations with 4 different gasoline choices, why not w for diesel.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure you change the oil regularly and may even want to think about a bypass filter or a dual filter setup so the oil is clean and running to the turbo bearing.

Very nice looking truck though. Gotta love that diesel pulling power, the torque is what gets you moving and diesel engines build it up nice and low.

Driving downhill just don't freak when you are coasting and the engine just goes completely silent. Was a little disconcerting the first time I ever had it happen. The transmission will lock up the torque converter and just let the truck coast on zero fuel with a good downhill run.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things I've learned about this diesel.

Sam's club has a good price (the lowest in this area) on diesel and they go through about a tanker truck a week; so its fresh.

This motor runs through a regeneration process about every 500 miles. Fuel mileage drops about 1.5 miles per gallon because it sprays fuel via a separate injector into the exhaust to help clean the particulate filter. The average mileage with 2400 miles is just over 18 mpg.

The drivability of the diesel is awesome. Very little throttle and the truck wants to run!

This new for 2017 L5P Duramax motor is a work of art and race inspired. Gale Banks went through a comparison with the previous version, the LML Duramax and it's astonishing the amount and number of improvements that were engineered into the new motor. According to Banks, the second in charge of development, is a hot rodder and the parts improvement reinforces that statement.

Some of the improvements include:
20% increase in oil volume due to wider impeller gears.
20% increase in cooling efficiency due to wider water pump impellers.
Stronger crank with bigger diameter journals
Stronger and lighter connecting rods while being larger for more strength
Honey comb shapes valve springs with smaller diameter retainers for higher rpms
Smaller and lighter roller lifters for higher rpms and less rotating mass
Stronger and race proven designed pistons

Below are some screenshots from the video. The head design is obsolutely night and day differences with previous designs. The top head is the new version vs the old design below.

IMG_1185.PNG
IMG_1186.PNG
IMG_1187.PNG

The connecting rod on the left is the new design. GM has made this motor to withstand much more than they the currently rated 445 hp and 910 lbft of torque. I bet we see over 500 factory hp with this same motor and a different factory tune in the future.

IMG_1188.PNG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom