My newest column (foreign policy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who care,
Another opinion column for the O'Collegian. This time about US foreign policy.
Before anyone calls me a Paul fanboy, I want to let them know I am not just a devotee. He makes valid points about our current policy and government. I subscribe to the theory of his principles not to his principles because they're his.
I'd like to especially hear any serviceman/woman's perspective on this column. However, any polite comment or criticism is welcome. :twocents:
Thanks,
Jonathan

Link:
http://www.ocolly.com/united-states-foreign-policy-is-blatant-hypocrisy-1.2743257
:thumbup3:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This:

"The United States is despised by some in the world for a simple reason. It is not because they "hate our freedom" as George W. Bush often stated, but because we have invaded their countries and killed their brothers. We have funded the bombers that blew up their families or the drones that inflicted "collateral damage" upon their nations. Moderate Muslims are turned into radicals and jihadists by the involvement of U.S. troops and drones in Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen."

... seems to be a common thread of late amongst predominantly younger people, most who have never been outside of their own state, let alone this country.

I've been around the world and the United States is not despised as much as those pundits who argue the point would have you believe. It's very popular to televise American effigy and flag burning; much more so than the incredible amount of good things that we do, buildings we raise, lives we save, mouths we feed, medicines we distribute, etc...

I've been welcomed with open arms and bottles of champange (literally) by those who felt the good that American's do in both humanitarian aid and in combating those who kill and opress the weak. I'm a Marine who wears both a Humanitarian Service Medal AND a Combat Action Ribbon... I know first hand both sides of our efforts in this regard.

Certainly the force we have used and continue to use against the likes of the Taliban and others are not without equal and opposite reactions amongst those involved in or assocated with those enemies. I'm sure the brother of a Taliban fighter hates Americans because we killed his kin. I'm positive that Saddam and his army didn't care for us. Personally, I think having killers, dictators, terrorists, tyrants and their minions as enemies is the way it ought to be...

I'll concede that we spend a ton of money on defense to support all of these actions and more. I'd rather we didn't, but using the argument that we have to stop killing killers or they will hate us is just silly justification for it. More than anything, I'd like to see every single one of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines come home without a scratch, but their cause is just and their actions and intentions are true.

There are all kinds of reasons to argue against American foreign policy, but the trend to blame some imaginary worldwide hatred that we caused on it is IMHO, a non-starter.

Of course... that's just my opinion though. I could be wrong. :)

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC,
Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into your reply.
In my understanding, had we not militarized the Taliban in the 80s to oppose the Soviets, we would not have the issues from Al-Queda and the Taliban that we do now. We also supported Saddam in his war against Iran in the 80s. We choose our allies and enemies not necessarily from any moral standpoint but from convenience. We are willing to overlook abuse of human rights if it serves our government's cause. Certainly we have killed alot of bad people and have done some good in this world, but was it worth the financial price and the cost in human lives?

My brother served in the Army for 8 years and spent time in S. Korea. I have nothing but respect for those brave people who actually serve, but have disdain for the movers and shakers who seem to waste those lives.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC:
I'll concede that we spend a ton of money on defense to support all of these actions and more. I'd rather we didn't, but using the argument that we have to stop killing killers or they will hate us is just silly justification for it.

However there is no reason to give them cause to convince more of their kind to become killers. A friend does not occupy another country, and enemies are not made by leaving indepedent people alone.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Foreign policy is driven by elites seeking to make money. Military personel and equipment are the tools used. It's not about freedom. It's not about security. It's about money.

I practice laizze faire foreign policy with my neighbors. I stay out of their business, they stay out of mine. We all get along fine.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This:

"The United States is despised by some in the world for a simple reason. It is not because they "hate our freedom" as George W. Bush often stated, but because we have invaded their countries and killed their brothers. We have funded the bombers that blew up their families or the drones that inflicted "collateral damage" upon their nations. Moderate Muslims are turned into radicals and jihadists by the involvement of U.S. troops and drones in Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen."

... seems to be a common thread of late amongst predominantly younger people, most who have never been outside of their own state, let alone this country.

I've been around the world and the United States is not despised as much as those pundits who argue the point would have you believe. It's very popular to televise American effigy and flag burning; much more so than the incredible amount of good things that we do, buildings we raise, lives we save, mouths we feed, medicines we distribute, etc...

I've been welcomed with open arms and bottles of champange (literally) by those who felt the good that American's do in both humanitarian aid and in combating those who kill and opress the weak. I'm a Marine who wears both a Humanitarian Service Medal AND a Combat Action Ribbon... I know first hand both sides of our efforts in this regard.

Certainly the force we have used and continue to use against the likes of the Taliban and others are not without equal and opposite reactions amongst those involved in or assocated with those enemies. I'm sure the brother of a Taliban fighter hates Americans because we killed his kin. I'm positive that Saddam and his army didn't care for us. Personally, I think having killers, dictators, terrorists, tyrants and their minions as enemies is the way it ought to be...

I'll concede that we spend a ton of money on defense to support all of these actions and more. I'd rather we didn't, but using the argument that we have to stop killing killers or they will hate us is just silly justification for it. More than anything, I'd like to see every single one of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines come home without a scratch, but their cause is just and their actions and intentions are true.

There are all kinds of reasons to argue against American foreign policy, but the trend to blame some imaginary worldwide hatred that we caused on it is IMHO, a non-starter.

Of course... that's just my opinion though. I could be wrong. :)

Couldn't agree more with you. I think it's hypocritical to talk about the "collateral damage". If we hadn't gone to many of those places, that collateral damage would have been much much higher. I'm a HUGE fan of Dr. Paul. I think he is a very outspoken champion for liberty and fiscal responsibility. But I cannot in good conscience vote for him because that same champion would sit back and allow a repeat of the killing fields if he pulls all the troops out of foreign hot spots because it's "none of our business." I think it IS our business to defend the weak and downtrodden. Just my opinion.

on another note, I like your columns 3inSlugger. :)

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC,
Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into your reply.
In my understanding, had we not militarized the Taliban in the 80s to oppose the Soviets, we would not have the issues from Al-Queda and the Taliban that we do now. We also supported Saddam in his war against Iran in the 80s. We choose our allies and enemies not necessarily from any moral standpoint but from convenience. We are willing to overlook abuse of human rights if it serves our government's cause. Certainly we have killed alot of bad people and have done some good in this world, but was it worth the financial price and the cost in human lives?

We didn't militarize the Taliban itself. We helped Afghan fighters stave off the Russians, but the Taliban sprung up primarily from devout Sharia extremists who came to power after that conflict and gained much support from Pakistan. Anyway... there are all kinds of stories where someone that we supported turned bad. You're right, it's not perfect science, but I think we do the best we can. Certainly better than anyone else in the world.

Worth it... I don't know, go ask the surviving Jews from WWII. Petition some Chinese who avoided being slaughtered by the Japanese. Sample some Hmong refugees who were spared from oppression and murder by Reagan. Ask a Kuwaiti, a Shi'ite Iraqi who was under Saddam's thumb, let a North Korean spend ten minutes in an American city and then ask them how they've been blinded, brainwashed and held down. Worth it? That's subject to perspective isn't it?

My brother served in the Army for 8 years and spent time in S. Korea. I have nothing but respect for those brave people who actually serve, but have disdain for the movers and shakers who seem to waste those lives.

Agreed. Even within the ranks there are those who make poor decisions that cost American lives unecessarily. It's not a perfect world, but I think we're doing a pretty good job considering. I do believe in questioning everything and always seeking improvement, I just think that making the basis for a better foriegn policy one of "the world hates us because of our involvement" is flawed.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Even within the ranks there are those who make poor decisions that cost American lives unecessarily. It's not a perfect world, but I think we're doing a pretty good job considering. I do believe in questioning everything and always seeking improvement, I just think that making the basis for a better foriegn policy one of "the world hates us because of our involvement" is flawed.

Understood. I should have made myself clearer. I am just 20 after all. :disappoin

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When you favor one country you alienate another. I find it hypocritical to talk about the downtrodden abroad when we have our own downtrodden here.

You're on the right course 3inSlugger. Don't let these folks influence you. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom