My wife needs a central OK deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with the wood and blue...it will save you a lot of grief in the long haul. Take your time and shop around and you will find the perfect match. Don't over gun the lady with a lot of kick and boom. I like 7mm-08. My wife shoots .257 Roberts which to me is perfect...can be hard to find. It is 4 months til deer season you have plenty of time to get it right. Good luck.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Marlin x7 stainless pillared and bedded in original synthetic stock. The stock has been stiffened with epoxy in the forecast stock,and the rear stock filled with foam. The gun is 243 caliber. $350 .Can add a Hawke scope for an additional 150 installed and bore sighted. Adjustable trigger is 2.8 lbs
Nice gun, fits the bill perfectly.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well ok 257 Roberts. , I have one if my FFL didn't sell it last weekend! Large ring Mauser action . New Shaw barrel professionally installed with proper head space, by gunsmith of 37 yrs! He also installed a Timney adjustable trigger, an put it all in a Stocky's synthetic stock with the full length aluminum mounting plate in it. Stock was 225 by it's self. Great shooter. $350. Bluing is great on this rifle too. It is also scope ready with scope raile too! I've got too many rifles for the space in my safes. These 3 I've mentioned here must go so the prices are very fair! I've got over 550 in this one

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
243 - 6 CM - 6.5 CM - in bolt rifles

6.5 Grendel in AR 15 platform

In my opinion anything larger is a waster of powder on 95-120 LB Oklahoma Whitetail.

If I were whitetail hunting in Michigan I would use a 308 because the deer are much larger [heavier] there.
[Not uncommon for 160-200 lbs]

More important than caliber is shot placement and bullet type no matter where whitetails are hunted .

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

In my opinion anything larger is a waster of powder on 95-120 LB Oklahoma Whitetail.

If I were whitetail hunting in Michigan I would use a 308 because the deer are much larger [heavier] there.

More important than caliber is shot placement and bullet type no matter where whitetails are hunted .
All very true. If you split the heart in two, doesn’t matter which round you’re shooting. The 6.5 family of ammo has invaded my safe recently. Fast, low recoil and accurate.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

160-200# whitetails are very common in western and northwestern Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom