My wife needs a central OK deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thompson Center Compass if she can get over the blued and wood look. She can get one with a decent scope within her budget. T/C has a sub moa accuracy guarantee with premium ammo.

As far as caliber a lighter recoiling choice will be more pleasant to shoot, and usually leads to greater accuracy because of this. .243, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, 25-06.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You didn't mention the 783 caliber or I missed it. Is it inadequate or does she just want another gun? Since she likes wood and bluing, I'd possibly look at Cabelas used gun rack. There can be some steals there on occasion. And I wouldn't hesitate to cut an old stock down to fit her properly. Since she likes the 6.5CM, I'd look in that area. .243, 6mm, 6.5. My .308s definitely recoil harder than my .243 or 6.5.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Is the $500 for the rifle, scope, and rings?

If so, the Thompson Center Compass has gotten some good reviews and is pretty cheap. The 6.5 CM was on sale a couple days ago for $250, it’s back to $338 now.
https://grabagun.com/thompson-center-center-11703-compass-bolt.html

Then you have a common caliber. And it’s threaded so you can add a muzzle break or suppressor later if you want.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Story of my life, it was just on sale.

783 is a Marlin 22WMR bolt action.

I am trying to convince her for a while to try an AR10/15. But, she is being all old school on me. I would hand her my 6.5 and restock it, but she says it was my rifle not hers. She gets weird on this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of deer have been put in the freezer with a 243!!

I would bet even more with a .22 rim fire.

Here is how I see it Get her the wood stock blued finish gun no larger than the 6.5 CM if you can.
Sounds like she has taken pride in guns and if you get her a really nice one she will most likely shoot more and hunt more.

You can't put a price on that.
And many Nikon 3-9x40 scopes can be had for under $140 out the door.
I got some for $99 + tax and they are excellent.

My 1974 date winchester 30-30 has been roughed up, rained on, stomped on, dropped in the mud and wet ground more times than I can count and the wood finish and blueing is fine.
Good oils you know.
Oh it had a Redfield wide field fixed 4X on it and deer have fallen to it at 300 yards. It really does not take much scope or gun if you practice.
You know that also.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Marlin x7 stainless pillared and bedded in original synthetic stock. The stock has been stiffened with epoxy in the forecast stock,and the rear stock filled with foam. The gun is 243 caliber. $350 .Can add a Hawke scope for an additional 150 installed and bore sighted. Adjustable trigger is 2.8 lbs

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might also consider the Ruger American I have in the classifieds in 762/39. Nice Boyd's thumbhole stock floated barrel and latest gen Konus scope with mildot Christmas tree reticle. Only had 150 rounds through it. $475 700+ in it!!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I can vouch for the TC compass. Threaded barrel and pretty accurate. I bought one in 223 mainly for punching holes in paper. When they ran the big rebate thing last year, I think I got it for $224.

Latest posts

Top Bottom