Need a little help here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent 20+ years sitting on a 2X10 in the crotch of a tree, climbing on scrub limbs to get there. I've earned my time in a box blind. I only use the heater to warm food. I like it piping hot. Getting warm from the inside is just as important as getting warm on the outside when the temps get into the low 20's or lower.

I've done the thermos thing. Stainless steel Stanley's. Its luke warm by noon when exposed to low temps. I had some wide mouth thermos's designed for food, not drink, but the liner was glass, and they always got broke somehow.

I take some energy bars, and Gatorade, but nothing beats a hot soup or stew. (home made) Tried the progresso and the Cambels ready to eat stuff. Its about as nasty as the Chef Boyardee.

My sausage and potato soup would be awesome, and I can season it the way I want
Save an old steel soup can and take your homemade soup in a thermos. Pour into steel can to heat and eat.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! you guys take food into the field with you.
Shaking my head...I do not even take water.
Indian style...weapon and knife and some string or rope.

I find many things to eat in the field if i get hungry...sour duck weed good stuff.
But i can't blame you for eating...keeps energy up...as it sucks to be out daylight to dark with no food or water.

what about items that do not need cooked..nuts or jerky some PB&J how about a V8
fibrous foods will keep you full.
Sometimes i fish while i hunt ...I have eaten many raw carp. raw crawdads even raw mussels.. Ate a raw scorpion last week. Not the stinger part..i removed 1/2 the tail first :)
Yep my stomach is Y2K compliant.

I hope you are joking. Going out unprepaired is just stupid and irresponsible. KNowing what to eat to stay alive and intentionally going out to do it are completly differant. I never go out with out my aluminum water can, 550 cord, and my kershaw leek in my pocket. Do use them in a non-emergant situation? NOPE.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cook in the field pretty much every day that I'm working. I put a metal container of water on my backpack stove and heat up cans of soup in the water. I buy the healthier selections of soup that don't have as much processing. You can also make a foil pouch and fill it full of leftovers and set the pouch down in the hot water (you won't have dirty dishes to deal with this way).

When my snivel factor goes way up, I break out the propane burner and the 20 lb. cylinder!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No i was just busting dennishoddy's chops ...
I have hunted daylight to dark without food or water many times but i knew the area's and there was plenty to eat and drink.

You will be surprised how much water will leak from a thick vine..A lot of the area's i hunt have natural springs so water is not needed in the pack.
There were a few times i got hungry.. but not to the point of headache or any ill effects.

Can't blame you for staying alert and full of nutrition.

Prickly pear fruit is a good one when in the hunt..
I came back to camp last year and guys were looking at me funny..Buddy asked me what was on my face.
AAAHHHH purple ink ..tasty prickly pear fruit..I left one for the next guy that got hungry...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya man, that stuff is nasty but its carbs and protein. Hunt mainly Kay and Osage.

This is what I'm warming up the stuff with. Doesn't take long to get it piping hot.

View attachment 33981

Thought about that, but cans aren't designed for cooking, and I don't want any errant metals in my food, or plastics that line some cans that aren't designed for cooking.

Sorry I meant a spagetti and meatballs can and not a soup can. :spaghetti:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stanley's Steel Thermos (1 for soup / chili and 1 for coffee), a ham sammich, a banana, apple, granola bar, mixed nuts and Gatorade in a milsurp gas mask bag on my belt. First started this regimen on a Colo elk hunt in '83. Still using the same thermos. Even when young and dumb, I would carry an apple or 2.

I never leave the house without water.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Stanley's Steel Thermos (1 for soup / chili and 1 for coffee), a ham sammich, a banana, apple, granola bar, mixed nuts and Gatorade in a milsurp gas mask bag on my belt. First started this regimen on a Colo elk hunt in '83. Still using the same thermos. Even when young and dumb, I would carry an apple or 2.

I never leave the house without water.

I did the thermos thing this year with coffee, have to say a warm cup of coffee after gutting a deer is awesome! I may have to try the two thermos thing, sounds like a winner. I ALWAYS take more water than I could need, I always try to go out with a "worst case scenario" mindset, like if I end up spending the night because the boat that dropped me off won't start to come pick me up or I get hurt etc.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis don't let 'em bust your chops! Whatever allows you to enjoy the hunt is game.

Nothing wrong with staying warm and belly full. You don't have the freeze your butt off and get cotton mouth to call yourself a hunter. Work hard or work smart. Or, do both.

A hot cup of joe, or steaming mug of soup never tastes better than it does in the blind, it's part of our tradition! (though we use old WWII canteen cups)

Latest posts

Top Bottom