Need gunsmith / reline barrel in OKC area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have talked to SPD about this. I just never travel towards Stillwater. :(
Yes, we've talked. This job is not for the faint of heart. I may take it on later this summer after I get caught up. I'm working on three members guns right now. (Sorry it's taking so long guys....., you know who you are). Life is throwing a lot at me now.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was easy-peasy!
To me, it is. But then I've done well over 200 barrel liners, so I suppose it might be far more intimidating for many others. If my eyesight wasn't going to hell in a rusty bucket, I'd have volunteered to do it for him but I'm not certain I could still turn out a job that would rate AAA status, and I'm not one to chance messing up someone else's gun.
The set-up is the most difficult part. Chuck barrel in lathe with steady rests inboard and outboard, dial indicate off the bore as close to zero runout as possible. Drill slightly undersize then ream to .002/.004 clearance of the liners mic'ed OD. Install liner with fixative of choice (I like Loctite). After bonding completed cut liner flush and address the crown and chamber. Easy Peasy lemon squeezy!

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, it is. But then I've done well over 200 barrel liners, so I suppose it might be far more intimidating for many others. If my eyesight wasn't going to hell in a rusty bucket, I'd have volunteered to do it for him but I'm not certain I could still turn out a job that would rate AAA status, and I'm not one to chance messing up someone else's gun.
The set-up is the most difficult part. Chuck barrel in lathe with steady rests inboard and outboard, dial indicate off the bore as close to zero runout as possible. Drill slightly undersize then ream to .002/.004 clearance of the liners mic'ed OD. Install liner with fixative of choice (I like Loctite). After bonding completed cut liner flush and address the crown and chamber. Easy Peasy lemon squeezy!
You'd have a hard(er) time using a lathe on something like say, one of those savage over / under combo guns.

I only did 1 liner job, and it was the 22 mag barrel of one of those over unders.

Pawn shop find with a blown out 22 mag breech.

I made up all my own tooling to do the job except the chamber reamer!

Latest posts

Top Bottom