** NEED HELP (Advice) please read ***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the state statutes:
C. It shall be the duty of the attendance officer to enforce the provisions of this section. In the prosecution of a parent, guardian, or other person having custody of a child for violation of any provision of this section, it shall be an affirmative defense that the parent, guardian, or other person having custody of the child has made substantial and reasonable efforts to comply with the compulsory attendance requirements of this section but is unable to cause the child to attend school. If the court determines the affirmative defense is valid, it shall dismiss the complaint against the parent, guardian, or other person having custody of the child and shall notify the school attendance officer who shall refer the child to the district attorney for the county in which the child resides for the filing of a Child in Need of Supervision petition against the child pursuant to the Oklahoma Juvenile Code.

D. Any parent, guardian, custodian, child or other person violating any of the provisions of this section, upon conviction, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall be punished as follows:

1. For the first offense, a fine of not less than Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00), or imprisonment for not more than five (5) days, or both such fine and imprisonment;

2. For the second offense, a fine of not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00), or imprisonment for not more than ten (10) days, or both such fine and imprisonment; and

3. For the third or subsequent offense, a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00), or imprisonment for not more than fifteen (15) days, or both such fine and imprisonment.

Each day the child remains out of school after the oral and documented or written warning has been given to the parent, guardian, custodian, child or other person or the child has been ordered to school by the juvenile court shall constitute a separate offense.

Sounds like they do not want the heat for having long lines from an inadequate internal support system. Whenever I pick my daughter up (She gets out at 3:45) I am never back home until 4:45-5:00 because of the long lines. And I only live a block away from the school.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The school district wants their money, plain and simple. On top of that, the administration is probably so scared of being sued, they are in full CYA mode. I would definitely go talk to the principal, but if it is where my wife used to work, good luck finding one to talk to. We still have several friends that are teachers and they have sadly had to start handling all of the decipline, no principals to be found, and are told to give their students a 'D' if they are failing. It is sad what our public schools have come to. My wife and I are now looking at all options for schooling our kids, we can't afford private school so we will be looking to move into a "better" district.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd bet there's more to this story. Probably something along the lines of excessive tardies by a large number of students. The school district doesn't have the manpower or has lazy manpower to change the proble. So they just turn it all over to the DA. School law is a convoluted mess. It's been over legislated to the point no one knows all the laws affecting operation.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No.. They are abiding by the law. It ain't easy being cheesy but that is the way it goes. If parents/students would do what they are supposed to, then it wouldn't be necessary to involve the DA. Simple.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, do you make it a habit to leave your children alone without adult supervision? Why is the guy who is specifically watching out for his kids safety at fault?
You have got to be kidding. You're saying everybody whose kids ride the bus is endangering them? :saywhat:

What has the world come to that riding the school bus considered that dangerous?

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i havent read through every single post on here, so im not sure if its been said or not, but i think all the schools in this area count 3 tardies as 1 unexcused absence. the DA can file charges on the parents if they arent getting the kids to school or arent making them go. if the parents are making efforts to get their kids to school and the kids choose to leave or skip out, then charges cab be filed on the kid and he/she could then be placed on probation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom