Need help , I want to buy an old rifle and make it Sniper capable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not sure all the details but its true. My uncle is Terry Pregler and he is a realy good shoot with just about anything thier is, not a lot of men better than him. And of them most are profestional shooters or law enforcement like Mike Brown.

But i could be wrong but dont think i am about the shooting the nagant, at least the range though.

Sounds like you have great respect for your uncle and that's to be commended.

Certainly any shot at 1000 yards with iron sights seems like it's the same hole when you consider the distance and all of the factors involved. It's no easy feat.

Gotta ask, how old are you and have you done any match shooting yet? I started shooting High Power matches as a teen, it's easy to catch the bug.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
19 And ive been practing to get started in it but ive got a little more rounds down range first but im getting better with my 1911 , m1, and ar 15

Stick with it and keep asking questions. Before you know it you'll be putting up some fine shots as well.

Go out to some of the 600 yard matches at Red Castle sometime and check it out. Everyone out there is always willing to help new shooters. I don't know when the next time I'll get out to a match, probably not until next spring, but you're welcome to tag along if you wish.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stick with it and keep asking questions. Before you know it you'll be putting up some fine shots as well.

Go out to some of the 600 yard matches at Red Castle sometime and check it out. Everyone out there is always willing to help new shooters. I don't know when the next time I'll get out to a match, probably not until next spring, but you're welcome to tag along if you wish.

They had a 600-yard match yesterday. I didn't know until I got there, and I was bummed because I wanted to try dinging the steel silhouettes with a pair of vintage sniper rifles. Still had fun punching paper at the bench rest area.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I might comment on the original question, there were quite a few swedish mauser 96 rifles, in pretty decent shape, imported a few years ago. These had a reputation for fine accuracy, and many acessories are available. Don't know what they are going for now though. Actually, I like the Idea of using a lower priced commercial rifle, such as the stevens, marlin, or mossberg. I was reading in a gun mag. about a new mossberg that uses AR mags.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey smithwick, you should take that M1 and that AR and about 400 rounds and come out to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. We're having one in Afton on December 10-11. We teach rifle marksmanship from field positions, and we shoot the old Army Qualification Test that they used back in the days of the M1 and M-14 (back when they actually taught rifle marskmanship). It is a lot of fun, and you will definitely learn to be more effective with your rifles. Then in 2012 we will do another one at Badlands, and you will have a chance to pop that 1000 yard silhouette! Oh yeah, the best part is that since you are under 21, you shoot for free (it normally costs $70 for the weekend). You should bring your dad and uncle too... you guys would have a blast. Even if they are pretty good with a rifle I bet they will still learn a thing or two, and they will definitely enjoy trying to get that Expert score on the Army Qual. Test. Trust me it is an awesome time. Oh and if you want to make yourself "sniper capable" this is definitely a good place to start. You gotta get the fundamentals down first. The website for Appleseed is in my sig. And here is the link to the Info page for the Afton shoot: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19609.0

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
henschman, is the AQT you're referring to the one over terrain with man-size pop-ups ranging from 25 yds out to about 650 yds, shooting from various positions (no bench)?

It was a long time ago, but if memory serves me, that was about the specs of the range I qualified on at Leonard Wood back in the very early 60's. Those longest range pop-ups were sneaky devils and you had to be alert, quick and a pretty good shot to bring one down before he ducked. And, it was with good old M1 irons, still among the very best open sights.

Not just everyone made the Expert grade.

I remember being nervous as hell when it came my turn. The first target was 25 yds right in front of me and I didn't even see it till it started down. I missed. After that, I settled down and it was ducks in a shooting gallery. Most fun I'd ever had with a rifle. Man, I wish I had that rifle now. It was an International Harverster. It's only in recent years that the serial number finally left me. Ah, the memories!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
henschman, is the AQT you're referring to the one over terrain with man-size pop-ups ranging from 25 yds out to about 650 yds, shooting from various positions (no bench)?

It was a long time ago, but if memory serves me, that was about the specs of the range I qualified on at Leonard Wood back in the very early 60's. Those longest range pop-ups were sneaky devils and you had to be alert, quick and a pretty good shot to bring one down before he ducked. And, it was with good old M1 irons, still among the very best open sights.

Not just everyone made the Expert grade.

I remember being nervous as hell when it came my turn. The first target was 25 yds right in front of me and I didn't even see it till it started down. I missed. After that, I settled down and it was ducks in a shooting gallery. Most fun I'd ever had with a rifle. Man, I wish I had that rifle now. It was an International Harverster. It's only in recent years that the serial number finally left me. Ah, the memories!

ronny, we mostly shoot the 25m version of the AQT with reduced-size silhouettes simulating targets at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. Then if we have full distance facilities, we will shoot it on full size "D" targets at actual distance on the second day. The actual qualification course we use only goes out to 400, but we shoot on out to whatever distance we have available; though it is just for practice and fun, not qualification. I understand that back in the day they would often make the soldiers qualify as far out as the range would allow though. Yeah, we shoot it all from field positions, using only a sling for support. Stage 1 is 100 yards standing; Stage 2 is 200 yards transitioning to seated with a forced reload; Stage 3 is 300 yards transitioning to prone with a forced reload; Stage 4 is 400 yards prone. Stage 2 and 3 have significant time pressure. Yeah, shooting Expert is no mean feat... it earns you our "Rifleman" patch and qualifies you to volunteer with us as an Instructor in Training if you pull it off.

Yeah, those M1 and M-14 irons are something else. Far and away the best sights ever put on a combat rifle. Mr. Garand really put some thought into the engineering of those -- right down to the front sight being the width of a man-sized target at your Battle Sight Zero range. Good old American ingenuity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom