Need help , I want to buy an old rifle and make it Sniper capable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My uncle took one out to zink ranch and shoot it a thousand yards untill he could hit it almost everytime center. Most of the time its the shooter. The gun can accuratly reach those ranges with the proper shooter and equipment. your average infraty men is not going to be able to shoot like that because hes a drafted man.The US during the wars had some of the best shooting infarymen because lots of them shot there whole lifes while on a farm. The rounds that those guns can shoot all can reach those ranges without a problem. Most people dont try alot to shoot those ranges. First you have to add in elevation for the distance, and then the wind which can change mutiple times at that range. When it comes down to its just the shooter that realy makes the difference. And you know that pep sights are made for more accurate shooting any way.

Details on the rifle and target please.

With 20/20 vision, seeing and even hitting an 18" target at 400 yards with any sort of regularity is a task for me. Regardless of the accurracy of the rifle, my eyes just don't work that well. I can't imagine even being able to use iron sights with any precision at 1000 yards. That's not even an easy feat with a modern scoped .50 cal rifle.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My uncle took one out to zink ranch and shoot it a thousand yards untill he could hit it almost everytime center. Most of the time its the shooter. The gun can accuratly reach those ranges with the proper shooter and equipment. your average infraty men is not going to be able to shoot like that because hes a drafted man.The US during the wars had some of the best shooting infarymen because lots of them shot there whole lifes while on a farm. The rounds that those guns can shoot all can reach those ranges without a problem. Most people dont try alot to shoot those ranges. First you have to add in elevation for the distance, and then the wind which can change mutiple times at that range. When it comes down to its just the shooter that realy makes the difference. And you know that pep sights are made for more accurate shooting any way.

I rarely ever just blatantly call someone a liar, especially on the internet. But you sir are a class A liar liar pants on fire.

At the ripe old age of 24 with decent vision (read: I need no glasses) I couldn't see the bullseye of a target without an optic from 1000 yards. Do you understand how far that is? Thats 3000 feet, thats more than a quarter mile.

Actually let me rephrase that it's more than HALF a mile. If theres 5280 in a mile. And your claiming 1000 yard shot, we're talking 3000 feet, that makes it quite a bit more than half a mile. Even with my best optics I can barely make out the center of a target at that distance, admittedly I don't own a "sniper" rifle but I do have some fairly long distance guns. Without some sort of proof I don't believe it can be done, especially not with someone of any greater age.

I've been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure I'm not on this one.

If I'm wrong and it can be proven I'll apologize. I know some great shooters that can't make a 1000 yard shot with 338 lapua...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do make oversized targets for 1000-yard shooting. I've seen long-range targets that were a bit over 5 feet wide by six feet high, with a bulls-eye that was over three feet in diameter. I've also stood on the 1000-yard firing line at Red Castle and was able to make out the individual targets down yonder.

Now, could I hit the bulls-eye at that distance, over iron sights? Heck no :P

Mo, that video had sucky captioning. How far away was that bison, and how big was the circular target? Whatever the numbers, that's some darn impressive shooting! What I found amusing was that the shooter had plenty of time after pulling the trigger to look through his scope and watch the impact ;)

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They do make oversized targets for 1000-yard shooting. I've seen long-range targets that were a bit over 5 feet wide by six feet high, with a bulls-eye that was over three feet in diameter. I've also stood on the 1000-yard firing line at Red Castle and was able to make out the individual targets down yonder.

Now, could I hit the bulls-eye at that distance, over iron sights? Heck no :P

If Tsmithwick is indeed talking about a 5x5 sheet of plywood, I will admit yes that can be done with a fair amount of skill. Hell I'm pretty sure if I sat down at a bench I could hit a 5x5 target at 1000 yards.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, hitting man-sized targets at 1000 yards with an iron-sighted mil-surp is certainly possible. I do some 1000 yard shooting on 20" wide human silhouettes with my battle rifles. I won't say that I can hit it every time with my M1 or M1A at 1000 with iron sights, but I can hit it enough times to be dangerous at that distance! ;) I usually have to fire a sighter or 2 and watch for dirt splash to see what the wind is doing and fine-tune my elevation, but even with irons I can usually "walk it in" and start getting some hits. So I don't doubt that your grandpa could get consistent hits at 1000 yards with a mil-surp, depending on the size of the target...

But as someone who is obviously new to shooting, you might not realize quite how outlandish it is to claim groups that are "almost in one hole" at 1000 yards... especially with a mil surp.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, hitting man-sized targets at 1000 yards with an iron-sighted mil-surp is certainly possible. I do some 1000 yard shooting on 20" wide human silhouettes with my battle rifles. I won't say that I can hit it every time with my M1 or M1A at 1000 with iron sights, but I can hit it enough times to be dangerous at that distance! ;) I usually have to fire a sighter or 2 and watch for dirt splash to see what the wind is doing and fine-tune my elevation, but even with irons I can usually "walk it in" and start getting some hits. So I don't doubt that your grandpa could get consistent hits at 1000 yards with a mil-surp, depending on the size of the target...

But as someone who is obviously new to shooting, you might not realize quite how outlandish it is to claim groups that are "almost in one hole" at 1000 yards... especially with a mil surp.

+1

I've shot in Palma and 1000yd Long Range matches with iron sights and it is certainly possible. The black for the bull on the standard 1000yd NRA target is 44 inches. The 10 ring is 20 inches.

"Almost in one hole" consitantly... nope sorry. He'd be the finest shooter in the world and everyone would know it.

tsmithwick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely ever just blatantly call someone a liar, especially on the internet. But you sir are a class A liar liar pants on fire.

At the ripe old age of 24 with decent vision (read: I need no glasses) I couldn't see the bullseye of a target without an optic from 1000 yards. Do you understand how far that is? Thats 3000 feet, thats more than a quarter mile.

Actually let me rephrase that it's more than HALF a mile. If theres 5280 in a mile. And your claiming 1000 yard shot, we're talking 3000 feet, that makes it quite a bit more than half a mile. Even with my best optics I can barely make out the center of a target at that distance, admittedly I don't own a "sniper" rifle but I do have some fairly long distance guns. Without some sort of proof I don't believe it can be done, especially not with someone of any greater age.

I've been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure I'm not on this one.

If I'm wrong and it can be proven I'll apologize. I know some great shooters that can't make a 1000 yard shot with 338 lapua...

Im not sure all the details but its true. My uncle is Terry Pregler and he is a realy good shoot with just about anything thier is, not a lot of men better than him. And of them most are profestional shooters or law enforcement like Mike Brown.

But i could be wrong but dont think i am about the shooting the nagant, at least the range though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom