Need help , I want to buy an old rifle and make it Sniper capable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is very impressive. The last one we were trying to dial in - if it put 10 in 6" black, it did good :(

thats about all they were required to do.
if you find one from pre wwI or between the wars they will usually shoot a lot better. and look nicer too.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is very impressive. The last one we were trying to dial in - if it put 10 in 6" black, it did good :(

I've always had the impression K98k's, especially pre- and early- WW2, shot at least fairly good to very well. What year was that one you shot, and what ammo did you use?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as K98 goes - I've never shot one and never will; K98 was adopted with Nazi regime and I believe I expressed my feelings about "all the good things Nazis did" in another thread.

The rifle I was referring to was early teens G98 - and it would just toss 2 or 3 in the white with various handloads.
James tried his K98 for almost a year - but shooting 6+ and low 200s wore him out I guess: http://www.okcgunclub.org/military/mb/match11610.html < check other scores earlier same year.

I have a few German built Mausers (Swede and Chilean) - and they are well crafted firearms that do shoot well; maybe I need to get me a G98 and see if it can be competitive.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, you might initially think the old surplus rifles would be the cheapest way into a rifle you could use for sniping, but actually you would probably be better off with a brand new low-end sporting rifle... something like a Stevens 200... and a cheap piece of glass. It would be head and shoulders above the surplus rifles in accuracy, and would be easier and cheaper to mount a scope on. It would probably cost the same as a scoped Nagant when you factor in the cost of the scope mount, the bent bolt handle, and the tall cheek-rest that you will need to get a proper shooting position. Plus with the Stevens you could get it in pretty much whatever American rifle caliber you want. And a Stevens is just a low-end Savage, which is one of the most common platforms for building sniper rifles, so there are all sorts of after-market parts you could upgrade it with as you get more money.

That's assuming you want the most capability for your money... but if nostalgia is a concern, then I can see going with a surplus rifle.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
henschman, in my opinion, there is some merit to your comments. This is especially true is your talking about a Mosin and many of the Mausers. Hoewever, close inspection of a K31 or a Swedish Mauser M96 will reveal mechanisms which couldn't be reproduced today for closer to $2,000 than $1,000. The tolerances are really amazing for military rifles. To top it off, they have barrels which are near competition quality. If you're used to looking at Mosin iron sights, it's like night and day compared to these two. M39 sights are a joy, as well.

I admit to being partial to some of these old rifles. But, part of the reason for this partiality is simply because they are so good. I often question myself as to why I sold all mine.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theres a 1903 listed at $340 in the OK section of Armslist right now. Been there off and on for a while. Doesnt have the original stock, which is why I would suspect the price is lower.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
henschman, in my opinion, there is some merit to your comments. This is especially true is your talking about a Mosin and many of the Mausers. Hoewever, close inspection of a K31 or a Swedish Mauser M96 will reveal mechanisms which couldn't be reproduced today for closer to $2,000 than $1,000. The tolerances are really amazing for military rifles. To top it off, they have barrels which are near competition quality. If you're used to looking at Mosin iron sights, it's like night and day compared to these two. M39 sights are a joy, as well.

I admit to being partial to some of these old rifles. But, part of the reason for this partiality is simply because they are so good. I often question myself as to why I sold all mine.

I've had all three of the rifles you mentioned; the M39's were PL-marked and in great condition. However, it was a bear to shoot them with full-power loads, and the V-notch sight got to be tiresome after a while so I sold them all. Nowadays, I stick to scoped K31's and M96's that have been through the FSR and now have diopter rear sights. If only the ammo for those was cheap and plentiful!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Confuseus say: Prior to being concerned about making your $300 rifle 'sniper capable', you must first make yourself 'sniper capable'.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, it was a bear to shoot them with full-power loads, and the V-notch sight got to be tiresome after a while so I sold them all.
+1. Mosins are fun to shoot for fun - but 30 full power rounds into the match "fun" just goes away as shoulder pain sets in. M39 sights are easier adjustable, but not any better than 91/30 - the shallow V-notch causes vertical drift (at least for me) as the eye gets tired.

Latest posts

Top Bottom